I forgot....How old?

I have a sixteen month old who is really bad when it comes to getting into every thing. How old should I start time out with him, or do you have any ideas on how to positively discipline him?

angeljosh

Asked by angeljosh at 9:02 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he is probably still a little too young to start real time-outs. The thumb-rule is one minute per year of age... so at 16 months a time-out would only be one minute long??
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:04 AM on May. 19, 2009

• That's a why I am asking, because techinically he is one. I am just wondering how to do it cratively without making him feel like it's really horrible.
    angeljosh

Answer by angeljosh at 9:06 AM on May. 19, 2009

• LOL @ myself...... sorry .... after I posted that answer I thought to myself "she already knew that!"

I guess I'm still a little sleepy this morning! Maybe I'll fix myself some coffee and if I come up with some better advice, I'll post it for ya.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:11 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Re-direction should still work at this age. Also, make sure he has places/things he CAN get into. My kitchen cabinets are child-proofed except for 2 places where I had tupperware and pots/pans so that if he wanted to get into something, he could. Everything else I didn't want him to get into was put out of the way (I used the saying "lead them not into temptation" as my guideline because for toddlers, everything is a temptation). So remove anything you really don't want him to get into completely out of his reach, re-direct him to areas he CAN get into. Also, look at the behavior - is there something he's trying to do that you can provide an alternate, acceptable activity for? Throwing (get some bean bags or soft balls and give those to him for throwing), banging (gets some pots/pans and sticks and let him bang out a few "tunes), climbing (take him to a park or nearby jungle gym and let him climb). cont...
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:12 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Also, remember that with positive discipline at this age, for every no, give him a corresponding yes. Give him alternate behavior/activities that he can do. And when you catch him doing something that's okay, praise him for it (a little over the top at this age is okay). Time outs should be few, and at this age, the best way for time out may simply be to remove yourself from his vicinity. For instance, if my son hit me, I would put him down and walk away. If your son is doing something to you that you don't like, walk away from him, telling him that when he does that, it makes you sad (or whatever). If he doesn't have the self-control to sit in a chair or something, I personally wouldn't struggle with a time-out spot or corner. But it also depends on what your view of time-outs is and what their purpose is.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:16 AM on May. 19, 2009

• We started "baby time outs" at 9 or 10 months. When no!, stop! or don't touch that! didn't work, we would hold her in our lap, immobilized, and count backwards from 20 (until my husband decided that she would never learn to count properly and insisted that we count from 1 to 20).

Answer by rkoloms at 10:20 AM on May. 19, 2009

• We started modified time outs as soon as they were mobile. You should never put off discipline. Whatever you plan on using for discipline, start doing it now modified for his age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on May. 19, 2009

• My DD is 18 months and was getting into everything. We would tell her no and remove her from it. She eventually got it and wouldn't get into anything that wasn't hers. We have been house sitting at my mom's for 3 days and she gets into everything. We have started time out too. She will sit in that chair for the whole min crying and when it is time to get up we talk about why she was there. She can't talk to me very good but I think she understands. She wont do the same thing again that day. But there is always tomorrow. :) Just stick with it!
    jflowers

Answer by jflowers at 10:50 AM on May. 19, 2009