What exactly comprises "the enemy"?

Saw this in an answer on the next page, and rather than hijack that:
"That is falling right into the enemy's traps"
So who exactly is the enemy - people of completely different faiths, or anyone not in your exact same denomination? If you're a baptist, are Presbyterians the enemy, or only the Muslims, Buddhists and Hindus?
It seems to be an awfully adversarial view of the world, categorizing those who don't agree as "the enemy" but I guess it does explain a lot.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:39 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You have to categorize everyone as one or the other when you're told everything is black and white. To me, it's a very narrow-minded and sad view of the world. Once someone or some group of people are labeled "evil", there is not way for any good to be seen in them no matter how good they act.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:45 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Religiously speaking, we sometimes refer to Satan as "the enemy."

...but I'm not sure if that's what that individual was talking about.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:48 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I do mean Satan. He is the sworn enemy of God,and therefore, God's people. To most, he's not even worth calling by name, he's so insignificant, knowing that he's already been defeated, so we just refer to him as "the enemy." I for one don't want to do him any honors by calling him by name. He's not worthy of anything but contempt and loathing. He is the father of lies,and only comes to steal,kill,and destroy. And, he'll use anyone,and anything to do that. Nothing is immune from him using,and no one is. As I said, he knows once we are saved, he can no longer have our souls, so he's going to try and steal the next best thing to him, a Christian's testimony. He will do whatever he can to pervert,twist,and contort God's word, to make us look bad in the world's eyes,and try to discredit us, and ultimately God. He knows he's defeated,but he doesn't want to down alone. He wants to take as many with him as he can.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:57 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Satan is the enemy.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:57 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I do mean Satan

That doesn't make sense in context, unless what you are actually saying is that everyone who disagrees with you is a tool of satan. In which case, my original question stands - is it everyone of different religions or anyone of any religion who happens to disagree?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:59 AM on May. 19, 2009

• No,notpanicking, that's not what I'm saying at all. Of course, not everyone who disagrees is a tool of him. I'm talking about, and please, know this is in general terms, no one specifically, but, I'm talking about when someone asks a totally off the wall question,and, it seems like it's simply to incite a response from the Christians. Maybe it's not,but in our spirit, where we are warned from the Holy Spirit to be on guard, it seems that person is being used by the enemy to try and trip us up. I could be wrong,and of course I'm no authority on anything, but in my studies and prayers, this is what God has revealed to me.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 10:11 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I agree, satan and his army of demons are the enemy. However in at least one particular religion, the enemy is anyone who isn't part of that religion or willing to convert to that religion. These enemies or infedels are to be killed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on May. 19, 2009

• "However in at least one particular religion, the enemy is anyone who isn't part of that religion or willing to convert to that religion. These enemies or infedels are to be killed."

Why do I have the feeling that someone commented that just to start something?

In any case..

But would you still consider someone an enemy if they took issue with your beliefs, or blatantly said that they believed they were incorrect, there was no God, etc.? Would that be considered someone trying to lead you astray from your faith, and therefore someone who is (knowingly or not) giving aid to 'the enemy', or would you just consider them an unbeliever and leave it at that?

If that's the case, then why do so many people seem to think that unbelievers are a sign of Satan's influence on the world?

Just curious!
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 10:53 AM on May. 19, 2009

• No, Jynxx, I would not consider that person an enemy. Not in any way. I consider someone who says that to be a person of different beliefs than me. Believe it or not, I do,in fact have friends IRL who are atheist,and we get along fine. They respect me and my beliefs,and I respect them and their beliefs. As I stated, in my belief system, the enemy is in fact, the devil. He is my enemy, because he is the enemy of my Lord and Savior,and, I have no use for him,and nothing he has to offer me can compare to what God has given me, freely,and without strings. You can bet that everything the enemy offers comes with a lonnnnnnng string,attached to your soul.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 10:59 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I should have read your question a little better. Ok, when I say that someone is being used of the enemy, like everything else he does, most don't even realize it. And, I know what you are speaking of, I think. You are talking about the anon who has been saying that in several other posts, am I not right? I do agree with her to a certain point. People,both Christian and non-Christian are tripped up by the enemy. He's very crafty,and he does masquerade as an angel of light. Believe me, I still fall into his traps at times, we are human, it's gonna happen. However, once we learn to recognize it,we can be more on guard against it,and I think that's what the anon is saying. When a question is posed, in such an inciteful way, as to anger and stir up dissension, you can know for sure the enemy had a hand in it. He is here only to destroy. That includes any harmony between believers and non-believers. He wants you to think we are
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 11:03 AM on May. 19, 2009