I live in a virtual oven!!! How do we keep cool???

I live in a trailer!!!! Yesterday the temps were in the 90's and it is supposed to be almost the same today and tomorrow. Thankfully it will be cooler the end of the week and next week. BUT my question is.... is there anything I can use to help cool this place down? Our central air isnt working and I have to fight with the landlord but until it is fixed does any one have ideas? we have a window air in the living room but it doesnt help much.

krys1973

Asked by krys1973 at 9:40 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Home & Garden

• call your landlord a million times. Tell him if he doesnt fix it you are repoting him, and also going to charge him for the window air conditioner you have to buy.I would buy an air conditioner, just a small one and put it in the room you use most and can sleep in.If you cant do that, go to places that are cool. the library, stores, movies, andplace thats cool.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:43 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I already charged him for the air conditioner. It was taken out of rent and I gave him a COPY of the receipt! LOL
    krys1973

Answer by krys1973 at 9:46 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Dark curtains during the day and maybe some tall plants or bushes around the trailer ((hugs))
    stemen_life

Answer by stemen_life at 9:52 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Quoting Kyrs1972
    "I already charged him for the air conditioner. It was taken out of rent and I gave him a COPY of the receipt! LOL "

Reply -
    If you did that he may mistakenly belive the problem is solved and the air conditioner you bought is enough, exspecilly if he thinks he payed for it when you took it out of the rent.

I'd talk to him again and exsplain things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on May. 19, 2009

• A properly sized and installed ceiling fan will lower the temperature in a room an average of 7 degrees.
    Sugar burns quickly and will make you feel warmer Drink lots of water; it is important to stay well hydrated, especially when the temperature is hot.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:43 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Block sun from coming in through windows.
    Cook as little as possible and only using your crockpot, microwave or outdoor grill.
    Freeze a jug of water and place it behind a fan, when you turn the fan on and the ice starts melting, the vapor will be pushed through the fan and feel much cooler than just room air.
    Shower at night and go to bed with wet hair.

pitter_patter

Answer by pitter_patter at 2:13 AM on May. 20, 2009

• You have central air in a trailer? LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:07 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I have used sheets before, put them up like curtins to create walls to cool off a smaller area. use tacs, tape, rods, whatever works. I have a old house and the air doesn't get as cool in some parts of the house like the bedrooms. we have 1 widow air in the bedroom in one bedroom and since all the bedrooms are on one side of the house I put up a sheet in the hall to keep the air on that side, and all the bedrooms stay cool. and close all the doors of the rooms your not using and keep the bilnds closed
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 7:56 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I keep my house like a bat cave in the summer. I found some really thick black material on clearance and decided to make curtains for the summer. They don't match a darn thing in my house, but I don't care, keeps my energy bill down.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 8:48 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Yes we do have central air. When it worked it was WONDERFUL! It actually kept this place cool! Something went haywire with the old motor and I think the one they replaced it doesnt have enough power or something to cool it off in here!
    krys1973

Answer by krys1973 at 9:00 AM on May. 20, 2009