What words or terms are specific to your region or local area?

Is there any dialect in your area that is particular to your area? Are there any words or terms you use regularly that you think are pretty much regional? Please feel free to share any of those phrases or words...

tat2edmommyof2

Asked by tat2edmommyof2 at 9:48 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• well not sure about vegas i dont really talk to people here but back home it was words liek yall and stuff lol small southern town ya know
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:54 AM on May. 19, 2009

• crick in place off creek

so isn't. Jons going to the movies and so isn't Mike.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:57 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Fix'in to

"I'm fix'in to go to the mall"
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 10:00 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Pop, instead of soda. I have a friend in Tn who laughed at me for using the word pop. Of course, I then laughed at him when he asked if we were "fixin" to go anywhere.
    cheez1e

Answer by cheez1e at 10:01 AM on May. 19, 2009

• One of the weirdest I've had to get used to down here in the Deep South is all soda being a coke. Not pop, not soda...but a coke.
    And the y'all compared to the you all I'm used to back up North.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 10:19 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Im from texas.. Ya'll... every drink is Coke...
    The town I live in is Baytown locals call it Dirty Bay.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:25 AM on May. 19, 2009

• in nm: yall is used alot
    i live in mn now and they call soda, pop. so when i ask for a soda they look at me funny!!!
    acjadams

Answer by acjadams at 10:38 AM on May. 19, 2009

• The phrase "Y'all is a (fill in the blank)"
    The phrase "Good on ya, (boy or girl)!"
    The phrase "Take and get you a (fill in the blank)."
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:44 AM on May. 19, 2009

• We had a battle of vernacular phrases with our cousins in NJ. We live in OH. We say toss or throw, they said chuck. We say pop they say soda, we say beach, they say shore. Funny how just a few states away, people speak so differently. Oh and wicked, is that a good thing or bad lol?

Then there is a local high school where my white daughter was the minority(nothing racist here so no need to get panties in a wad) but some of the friends she went to school with said "I'm fina bouta" Fina bouta get some Cheeto's etc. WTH does fina bouta mean?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:28 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Wicked is good and I'm from Jersey and it's totally the shore if you're referring to going in Jersey. Down here I say the beach. (cause it's not the shore it's some sand and some water lol)

I'm fixing to is another I and to get used to but it is firmly planted in my vocab now...

Anyone use the term "putting up"? I'm not sure where I picked it up from but I've always said I'm going to put up dinner or tell my kids to put their things up it's supper time. Oh yeah and duh there's another poll for me to post lol...

Oh and cut on and cut off? That's another one I'm not sure where I picked up (but I've lived or visited pretty much eveywhere in the continental US)... Like cut the light on or cut the stove off?
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 11:55 AM on May. 19, 2009