Kids flying by themselves?

I have a dilemma. My two DD dad wants to fly them out to visit his mom(grandma) for one week. They are 14 and 11 and have never done this before, nor have they been on a plane more than once. I feel uneasy about it, but what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on May. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• When I was 12, my sister had just turned 16. Our oldest sister lived in Germany at the time and we hadn't seen her in months. Her husband was getting deployed, so she and my mom talked about us girls going to visit. We have never flown before, either of us, but my mother trusted us and we had my sister planning on picking us up at the airport. It really depends on your children. Are they mature enough to not get into trouble, would they know who to talk to if they couldn't find the right gates, would there be someone at the airport to pick them up, how far are they flying? My sister was 16, but at the time had really bad depression and anxiety issues, so I was kind of the boss of the situation, but I was always a little more mature than most kids my age.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:17 AM on May. 19, 2009

• don't worry mom a stewardess would be there on & off the plane to help them out. My step son is 10 & he flew to IL from Or last year. He is coming again this year as well. Airlines are strict & check ID's to make sure the right person gets the kids. Now the matter is do you trust his grandma? If not maybe grandma can to where you are. Also how do the kids feel? they are old enough to have a say in this.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:00 AM on May. 19, 2009

• My son has done this a few times. The stewardess gets them on and off the plane. They sit in the front seat and are taken care of. You are allowed to walk them right to the gate before and after. We never had a problem with it. It made my son feel quite grown up. Do your kids want to go?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:11 PM on May. 19, 2009

• At 14 and 11 they'll do fine. I flew by myself, or with just my sister from the time I was 12(my sister was 9). The staff at airports are helpful and it's more scary for mom then it is for the kids. XD
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:20 PM on May. 19, 2009