Do you agree that a lot of what took place in your childhood influences your behavior in adulthood?

I think it does a lot of the time.

His_Mommy26

Asked by His_Mommy26 at 9:57 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• I absolutely do! How we are brought up greatly shapes who we become. Some things can be overcome, but usually just in individuals who are very strong mentally and emotionally. On the other side of the coin, I think a happy, stable childhood greatly increases the chances of being a stable, productive adult.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:03 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I think so. Everything that you go through when you are growing up makes you who you are. I always thought that if one thing changed in my past then i wouldnt be who i am today. My mom used to always tell me that the present is nothiing without your past and your past gives you your future. I alwaysed loved when she would say that!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:08 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Absolutely it does. Your younger years are the most formable years of your life.
    prettylilrae

Answer by prettylilrae at 10:16 AM on May. 19, 2009

• It definately does. Some people watch what happens to people around them and they want to grow up and do/be the opposite, or they think that is normal and all they want/need/expect out of life. I don't know if I said that right, but yes I do agree.
    Things that happened in my childhood does affect who and what I am today and what choices I make and things I try not to do in every aspect of my life but mostly with my children. I want to protect them at all costs.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 10:35 AM on May. 19, 2009

• yes. i wish i would tweak some of it.
    it really makes you think all the things your parenst did wrong and how it affected you...you need to make sure you dont do the same
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:55 AM on May. 19, 2009

• very much so!
    J.Ann96

Answer by J.Ann96 at 11:13 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Children learn what they live so yeah.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:35 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I had a really off childhood, but it's helped me to be the person (and parent) I am today. There's a lot of times when I realize that I'm doing the exact OPPOSITE of what my parents did, and I know I've learned something!
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 12:50 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I can see this in my husbands behavior- his Mom spoiled him , and it makes it tough for me and the kids cause he always wants his own way, cause tht is what she did, and does. I told myself growing up I would not make my Mothers mistakes and I havent. I took the good things I learned fr. our family and carried on the love and tradtions.
    Anonymous

• Yes! I am a walking testimonial to the fact that it does. And unless we can some how deal with it and overcome it, it will affect us for as long as we live.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:30 PM on May. 19, 2009