my daughter is 6 months old and for some reason today her urine smells really bad and there are yellow spots in her diaper. what could cause this??

this has never happened before

Mommy2Layla08

Asked by Mommy2Layla08 at 10:09 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe she has a uti? Does she seem fussy?
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 10:13 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Is she hydrated well enough. Is she taking in enough fluids. I know my DD's doesn't smell the greatest if she doesn't drink enough.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:15 AM on May. 19, 2009

• If she hasn't been drinking enough she may be dehydrated and the urine would be stronger smelling and darker in color
    Has she started a new food? Some foods can change the smell and color or urine
    Or if you think there is any indication of have a UTI... she would have darker urine, possibly even a little blood in it and it would smell
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:30 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I would give her some pedilite (Sp?) My son is one it 2 a day to help with dehydration.... Thats what it sounds like to me.... Call her doc though! Those yellow dots are prob. crystles and thats a sign she's not drinking enough... Let them know and they will tell you what you should do... I had to bring my son in when that happened to get some fluids.... Good Luck!
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 11:31 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I would call your doctor. Girls and UTI stuff scares me :P I'd rather be safe than sorry. A nurse over the phone may be able to troubleshoot some ideas and then let you know if it is serious enough for a visit.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 3:14 PM on May. 19, 2009

• no indications of a uti, however my kom and i are prone to them. but she drinks her normal amount and isnt fussy at all
    Mommy2Layla08

Answer by Mommy2Layla08 at 3:38 PM on May. 19, 2009