Please share some of your "regional" recipes with us...

As I'm about to leave the Deep South for the blustery Northern front I've gotten to thinking about the foods I love and am going to miss that I consider to be regional(specifically Southern foods I'm going to miss the stuffing out of).
SOOOOOO...I'd like to know what some of your favorite "regional" foods are...

tat2edmommyof2

Asked by tat2edmommyof2 at 10:23 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• New Mexican food...YUM!

Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas, Sopapillas, Biscochitos, Tamales, Green Chile, Red Chile and of course, Posole!

(New Mexico is a state and is NOT part of Mexico!!)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I'm in Pittsburgh and we have the Primanti sandwich. Sometimes called Pittsburgh-style.

Start with good Italian bread (Here it's usually Mancini's)
    Put whatever meat cheese and veggies you like (I like steak, onions, peppers, lettuce and tomatoes)
    Add coleslaw and fries

That's pretty much it. It is soooo messy and good, but you can almost hear your arteries clogging when you eat it!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:47 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Texas Chili, which is markedly different from chili in any other part of the country. You'll get your ass handed to you if there are beans in your chili, if it's made with ground beef, if it contains anything weird like coffee or chocolate or if it doesn't make you want to cut out your own tongue with a rusty beer can because it's at least seven-alarm.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:47 AM on May. 19, 2009

• i couldn't do it... i live in the south too & i don't think i'd like "northern" food
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on May. 19, 2009

• My boyfriend brags about the sandwiches you were talking about Drowninginboys(he's from Titusville)...He loves them and compared them to a regional staple back in Jersey...the Fat Sandwich which can be a Fat Cat, Fat Moon, Fat Elvis... my fave the Fat Mojo and on and on. Of course my ultimate in Jersey staple is a Pork Roll Egg and Cheese or a Belly Buster.

I'm going to miss shrimp the size of my hand and the creole and gumbo that goes with it. Oh and these amazing little sweet corn fritters this one place on the Causeway makes...And hushpuppies. There are no hushpuppies back up home. I mean I can do a BOIL back home but NOONE will appreciate it in the capacity they do down here. And catfish... is catfish even served anywhere but down here anymore, lol?
    But in going back home I won't get laughed at fo rmy YANKEE pot roast and people will know what I mean when I say Shepards pie...so I guess that helps.

tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 12:05 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Sweet Tea, Fried Green Tomatoes, Po Boy sandwiches (hoagie with roast beef and cheddar cheese (and onions if you like, yum) Cajun cookin'
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 12:16 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Well here its either pizza or hotdog. A chicago dog is All beef, with onion, tomato, green I mean bright green relish celery salt, sport peppers and mustard. Ketchup is not allowed! It shouldn't be in the vicinity of the hotdog unless its on fries next to the hotdog. Pizza is not something you make at home you order it from either Lou Malnati's and get a deep dish or you order a thin crust where the pizza is cut in squares not slices. Top in my book thin crust pizza places here are Jake's (grew up with that), Taylor Street Pizza, or Giordano's.
    MommyofTwins616

Answer by MommyofTwins616 at 8:11 AM on May. 20, 2009