how do you get a 6 month old who refuses to sleep to sleeep??

my 6 month old fights sleep so much that i have to take him for a ride in the car..even for his napps..he wont let me rock him and if i just leave him in his crib or his swing he will just scream and scream..what do i do ?? i have to break this habbit because he needs to start daycare sooon??any adviceeee ??

dml11508

Asked by dml11508 at 10:27 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• as hard as it will be,let him scream hon. ever time you give in it reinforces his beahvior. sorry you are going thru that tho, its hard.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:28 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Ok some people aren't going to like my answer but I'll say it anyway. I had the same problem with my dd, and I had to just let her CIO. She is 8 months now and she does so much better, but sometimes that is the only thing you can do. Make sure before you do it that his is actually tired, he has a clean diper and has been fed within the last hour. Let him keep playing until he's so tired that he's pretty much on the verge of sleep, than he won't cry for long. Good luck!
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 10:34 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I would stop with the car rides right away... it's only making it worse.
    I would start with nap times and figure out something else. My son isn't a good sleeper either and sometimes we struggle for him to take his nap especially if he has gotten over tired.
    For naps I might put him in his buzzy seat (your son might like that, kind of like a car ride), sometimes we even put his seat in the bathroom because it is very dark and he likes the fan in their.... most of the time I just rock him... he sometimes screams about that too... but usually will settle down. Other times I've just let him CIO in his crib becuase nothing I am doing makes him any happier.
    For bed time he is better about sleeping but we have a routine that's been in place since he was born. Make sure you have a routine and stick with it. My son eats dinner, gets a bath, reads a book and then either breastfeeds or gets a bottle and then goes to bed.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:40 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I would stop the car rides to get him to sleep. I have many friends and neighbors who did this and once they started it, the kids got used to it and that is the only way they would go to sleep easily. I would let him cry. At least intermittentyly anyway. He will eventually get tired and go to sleep. If he is fighting the nap for a long time, give up and try again later. Some kids just don't sleep like others. My son would be awake for hours and hours and I would try everything to get him to sleep, swing, walking, singing, etc. I just gave up and stopped trying so hard and he got over it himself. :) Good luck honey, I know you're probably exhausted. But hang in there. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:40 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I would never let my baby cry it out. It's been proven over and over again to be harmful and just cause more problems later in life. Here is an article about it with cited sources from Yale, Harvard Medical School, doctors from UCLA School of Medicine, etc.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/handout2.asp

When my son was that age I would either turn on music and dance around with him or lay him down next to me and nurse him to sleep. It definitely required more effort than dumping my kid in a crib to scream himself to sleep but it was way less stressful. Now that my son is older (almost 17 months) it's not as difficult to get him down.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:43 AM on May. 19, 2009

• What about some kind of sound machine? My daughter had one that was ocean themed in her crib and it played music and had a wooshing ocean sound in the background...she wouldnt sleep either, and that helped.
    barefootbchbum

Answer by barefootbchbum at 12:08 PM on May. 19, 2009

• What kind of scream is it? Is it painful? Gassy? Do you nurse or formula feed? What is his sleepy time routine like?

I disagree that CIO is aways harmful. Even that young, some kids know the reaction they get out of mommy. Or my oldest for example didn't like to be hoovered over... when I let him cio within minutes of realizing I'd left him be, he was totally calm. All children are different. I do believe that you should get to the root of the crying. Car rides not only soothe baby but the vibrations can be good for gas. You might try some gripe water or gas drops. Or if you are formula feeding, ask your doc about something to reduce fuss. If you are nursing, cut out dairy or other possible triggers.

Singing can be VERY effective. :) Sing while stroking baby's face and slowly back away as baby becomes more and more comfortable. If all else fails and doc says baby is healthy, maybe try cio.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 3:11 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Babies and Kids need routine. The reason he sleeps in the car is because that is "his routine" for nap and bed time. Try doing dinner, bath, story, bed. It will be difficult the first few days but once he understands the new routine it will get much easier on everybody!

P.S
    Break the car ride habit quick!
    Mommy_Foster

Answer by Mommy_Foster at 3:24 PM on May. 19, 2009