What do you think when you see....?

What do you think when you see a couple (man and woman) both wearing T-shirts with metal bands on them, long hair, and maybe camo-print pants out with their baby (who's dressed like a baby....cute pink puppy on her shirt or whatever LOL)?

I'm asking because I really don't get why people stare. I'd like to know. Most people, when I ask, claim that a person's taste in music is only entertainment and doesn't say whether they're a good or bad person.....so then why the stares??? I like black, death, and more extreme metal....but none of the shirts I own have blood and gore or anything on them, but you can still tell it's metal. Do people assume we're bad parents?

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 10:40 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Entertainment

• I will be honest lol I stare sometimes at something like what you described because it is a funny contrast. Here is hard core , tough looking mom and dad, and then soft and fluffy baby. it cracks me up and thats it. no judgements here. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:42 AM on May. 19, 2009

• People are freaks. Stare back at them with your eyes wide open. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I think the first poster is right--it isn't a judgement thing, it is the contrast between these tough looking parents & the oh-so-adorable baby. But people stare no matter what. I dress like the small town Mom that I am but I have 5 kids so people stare at me. I just smile & wave.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:45 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Probably. I assume that people wonder what I am exposing my children to when I wear certain shirt as well. My daughter did have a really cute onsie with a skull and crossbones on it though. I really liked it. My stepson's biomom wears nothing but ICP clothing, has ridiculous amounts of large ICP stickers and things on her car, and I can tell you, she gets judged a lot. Her car gets keyed and hit with bats and all sorts of stuff. But some of her shirts are a bit too graphic for her to be around kids. She got a call from the principal of the school because she showed up to pick SS up carrying a Crown Royal bag as a purse and wearing a shirt that depicted a man in a cloak holding a severed head. So that, I could see the problem there. But my Metallica shirt that simply lists the tracks of an album on the back and has the album art on the front, seems completely appropriate to me.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:46 AM on May. 19, 2009

• IGNORE THE STARES AND DO YOUR THING, DON'T WORRY ABOUT WHAT OTHERS THINK.

Answer by older at 11:09 AM on May. 19, 2009

• My daughter does listen to my music....but I'm not into the blood and gore stuff much (unless the music part happens to be really cool). There's nothing in the lyrics I would not want to explain to her when she gets old enough to ask. (Pop music, on the other hand, I hope I don't have to explain! LOL) Besides, if people say it's mean to expose her to it, I just show them how she claps and starts stomping her feet when I turn it on! :) I don't believe I should have to change who I am for her...why would she want that? To grow up learning things I don't even agree with? She wears lots of normal baby stuff because she likes pics of kitties and stuff and points to them :) (and because that's what family members and friends bought her.)

I'm not so sure it's always the contrast....because some of the looks ARE nasty, and like yesterday, I could totally tell they were complaining about us to each other while looking.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:15 AM on May. 19, 2009

• My theory on the subject is this, the way I look doesn't harm my children. Like OP, I don't listen to anything around my children that I feel is harmful to them.

So I really don't care what anyone else thinks. Everyone is entitled to their own sense of style and their own musical preferences. You don't try to push yours on me, I won't do it to you. If you are going to judge me for my appearance, well, that's just your loss. I teach my children that it's what is on the inside that really matters.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 11:58 AM on May. 19, 2009

• who cares. i have piercings, streched ear lobes, tattoo's, the husband is military but still has tattoo's and his sleeve happens to be full of demons, vampires and tentacles...then their is a 2 year old...wearing a pink and white striped shirt with a pink skirt, pink shoes with white fluffy socks, and 2 curly pigtails holding onto a lion doll....
    lol. i love death metal....he loves black metal....she loves twinkle twinkle little star and kai lan lol
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:04 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I think they like metal music LOL.

And then Id probably think how cute their child is.

Thats it...
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:54 PM on May. 19, 2009