What do you think when you see...? (PIOF)

What do you think when you see a couple (man and woman) both wearing T-shirts with metal bands on them, long hair, and maybe camo-print pants out with their baby (who's dressed like a baby....cute pink puppy on her shirt or whatever LOL)?

I'm asking because I really don't get why people stare. I'd like to know. Most people, when I ask, claim that a person's taste in music is only entertainment and doesn't say whether they're a good or bad person.....so then why the stares??? I like black, death, and more extreme metal....but none of the shirts I own have blood and gore or anything on them, but you can still tell it's metal. Do people assume we're bad parents?

(I also posted this in Entertainment...but would like to know if it has anything to do with religious beleifs too. I don't think many people who live in my area are insanely religious...at least the majority that I know.)

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 10:42 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Don't mind T-shirts or wild pants. I don't even mind tatoos and piercings from head to toe. I nod and smile and if they smile back, okay. If they don't, I might feel a little sorry for the kid. My pet peeve is those guys who wear their jeans belted half-way down their butt-crack. One of these days I would love an explanation of this particular style. They look like two-year-olds with soggy diapers.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:45 AM on May. 19, 2009

• unfortunately people judge in ways they shouldn't. i personally wouldn't assume someone was a bad parent based on what they were or how they look. it isn't right that people would make an instant opinion about something they know nothing about. i feel for you. i really do. best of luck and stay positive.
    etniesalpha

Answer by etniesalpha at 10:46 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I don't think anything other than, maybe, hey I like that band (or, hmmm, I've never heard of it, lol).
    I honestly don't think that one's taste in music is any indication as to whether or not he/she is an acceptable parent. Maybe people expect parents to dress more grown up? IDK, but its never right to judge someone merely by appearance (well, its not right to judge anyone ever, lol)
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:48 AM on May. 19, 2009

• do you really care what other people think? you are simple expressing yourself...just like everyone else does. dont stress if "they" dont like it. they dont know the real you and if they arent willing to look past the t-shirt then they are missing out on, what seems to be, a good person and potientially a great friend. their loss not yours!!! keep you head up and keep wearing your favorite t's!!
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 11:01 AM on May. 19, 2009

• lol actually thats how SO and I dressed at our friends bbq. he and I both wore camo shorts and band shirts (SO wore pantera, I wore iron maiden), our son wore a cute sleeveless jumper! We LOVE heavy metal...we love music in general and will gladly share that with the world through clothes.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:02 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I don't think the OP is concerned as much as she just wants to know. I see this a lot too and can't help but try to get into the person's mind. Is it fear? Fear of things they've never been exposed to? That's my take on it anyway.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 11:04 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I really don't care....in fact we usually joke about it :) I just don't get the reasoning. Some people want to make a statement and look VERY different than everyone else (which is fine), but I don't. Just a T-shirt and jeans, that's it. I really don't care about fashion. So it seems I'm being judged ONLY by my music taste.....yet everyone claims that doesn't matter to my face.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:05 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I just love the fact that you're both in metal t-shirts and camo and sweet baby girl's all frilled out! Maybe that's why they're staring?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:08 AM on May. 19, 2009

• My husband and I get the stares too,lol We have an extreme vehicle and he shaves his head, has a goatee and tats. He wears Metallica t-shirts etc and he gets some looks when we're out with our boys. We just laugh too, our boys teachers say we're the "cool" parents,lol. We are strict, have rules, the boys have chores, we just know how to have fun as a family.. Like Hubby say's we aren't your ordinary family, and who wants to be ordinary?! lol
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:12 AM on May. 19, 2009

• "I just love the fact that you're both in metal t-shirts and camo and sweet baby girl's all frilled out! Maybe that's why they're staring?"

Maybe.....but she likes kitty pictures and stuff so.... :) And that's what everyone else buys for her. But some of the looks ARE nasty, and they don't even bother to look away or stop talking about us when they realize we're looking back.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:18 AM on May. 19, 2009