Is my supply drying up

I work 40 hours a week so I pump at work and nurse at home. I can usually pump 5 ounces at a time. Lately I can only get about 1 ounce. Is my supply drying up? If so is there anything I can do to reverse this? FYI- I have been pumping for almost 3 months.

J.P

Asked by J.P at 10:53 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep pumping and nursing as much as you can. The amount you can pump isn't an accurate indication of how much you're making. Babies are way more efficient at getting milk out. Some things that can help boost your supply are drinking lots of water, drinking Mother's Milk tea (they have it at most grocery stores and health food stores) taking fenugreek supplements and eating oatmeal. Also drinking a beer (even a non alcoholic one) can help because of the barley in it. Stick with it, mama. You're doing the best thing for your baby!
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:57 AM on May. 19, 2009

• How does you baby act?? I would use that as the first indication of supply... rather than our pump.
    First I would check your pump... maybe something is wrong with the suction
    Also, has your period come back? I found I had a huge drop when my period came back and it would take alot of work on my part to get it back
    You try herbal supplements like More milk plus or fenugreek to increase your supply. They also make a medication that you can get from your OB called Reglan.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:58 AM on May. 19, 2009

• How many wet dipers does your baby have a day? That is the easyest way to tell if they are getting enough.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:03 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Did you guys even read the question? She's been PUMPING and her PUMPING output has dropped by FOUR ounces. She wants to know if a DROP IN PUMPING OUTPUT means her supply is drying up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on May. 19, 2009

• OP Here. Each day my son has milk that I pumped the day before so he is getting plenty (for now). For this reason his diaper count is not a true sign. I checked, bolied etc.. the pump and it seems to be fine. Does the fact that I am able to pump way less indicate I am losing my supply? Thank you for all your input.
    J.P

Answer by J.P at 11:37 AM on May. 19, 2009

• "Does the fact that I am able to pump way less indicate I am losing my supply?" NO. The only thing pumping tells you is how much you can pump. :) You're fine. He only needs 1 oz per hour that you're away. If you're concerned about having enough pump first thing in the am. Either before feeding him or pump one side while he nurses the other. He will still have enough! If you're home on the weekends(or whenever) do NOT give him a bottle. When you're home he only nurses. No solids, no bottle. OK? Count dipes then, if he's still having 6-8(a really wet one counts as 2) in 24 hours you're fine. Drop by the breastfeed moms group for more info/help. :)
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:11 PM on May. 19, 2009

• No, this does not mean you are loosing your supply. As long as you can pump enough on Monday to leave with him on Tuesday then you are fine! If it drops to the point where you are having trouble keeping up with him check out the info here: Supply Boosting at WorkandPump.com

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:53 PM on May. 19, 2009

• The answer is NO it doesn't mean supply is drying up heres more info for you
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/pumping_decrease.html

tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:37 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I pumped and fed exclusively for the first 2 months of my daughter's life...and when I switched to regular breastfeeding, I have had a horrible time pumping on the days I have to go into work rather than working from home. I barely get anything and I have a miserable time trying to let down for a pump. I feel for you...if you are working every day, you rely on the pump to get enough milk out to feed your baby the next day you're gone. Good luck mama!!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:45 PM on May. 19, 2009