Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of a doctor do we see about snoring?

My husband snores so loud I can't sleep. I am starting to get concerned because it has gotten a lot worse recently. Can I take him to a general practitioner, or do we need to see a specialist? I highly doubt he would submit to a sleep study, unless I could get him to understand exactly how loud he is.


Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:00 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Health

Level 14 (1,498 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • Your family doctor can give your husband a referral for a sleep study; chances are that he will leave the study with a Cpap machine. My husband has had one for several years; feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

    Answer by rkoloms at 3:02 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • Have him go to his regular doctor and get a referral to a neurologist for a sleep study. :)

    Answer by SusieD250 at 11:02 AM on May. 19, 2009

  • Ears, Nose and Throat Doctor. They are considered a specialist so you may need a referral from your primary.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on May. 19, 2009

  • He would do it if you tell him that every time he stops breathing in his sleep he is risking more for heart disease and brain damage.

    Answer by SusieD250 at 11:03 AM on May. 19, 2009

  • My husband has severe sleep apnea for years literally. he has stopped breathing over 90 times in two hours in tests. One sign of sleep apnea is severe leg shaking while struggling to breath with loud snoring obnoxiously loud and seeing him inhale and not exhale. Both legs can shake. The condition Restless Leg Syndrome is separate from Sleep Apnea leg shaking, with RLS there is no stopping of breathing. Also with Sleep Apnea which includes nasty snoring and stopping breathing is waking up to pee many times per night. Being over weight can be a part of the cause as can a different design of palate and throat and muscle in the throat and resp. systems. We went to Ear Nose Throat Surgeons for his first test and since then others have been done directly with a respected sleep center at a major hospital. Your priimary, hubby's, can order the test. It will be over seen by sleep specialists and possibly other specialists.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on May. 19, 2009

  • Tape record on your cell or home phone him when he sleeps plus video record his sleep pattern with legs showing (no blanket) to show him exactly what is happening. Note how many times he gets up to pee. I forgot to add (Im anony 1008) that my husband at his most severe has also fallen asleep at traffic lights and in stop and go traffic, and also he's fallen asleep at work in meetings. That is when Sleep Apnea has progressed to its' most severe. Loosing weight can help reduce sleep apnea but weight gained back at the amount his resp. system can't handle it will bring back the sleep apnea. You need to tape record and video record his sleeping over several nights. Sleep apnea when severe is also during naps not only night time sleeping. Call hospitals and ask questions and google Sleep Apnea organizations. It's important if he's stopping breathing. Snoring loud with out sleep apnea can happen but testing is best.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on May. 19, 2009