Seems like they are charging me a little much...

I went to doctor yesterday and set up the payment arrangements with the hospital. The charges are $1500.00 for doctor to deliver, $4000.00 for the hospital and $2000.00 for the care of the baby after it is born. This is not including the doctore charges for pregnancy care. That is hospital charge only for when i deliver. Anyways the lady was telling me that these include private pay discounts. But she also said that for example when a customer is on medicad they only get $350.00 for the care of the baby. I was thinking well how does $2000.00 sound fair now. That seems a little steep. Especially when i told her how much trouble i am having coming up with the money. I still have to come up with all the doctors care visits fees. You would think on customer (cash) pays they could do a little better deals especially when they get so little from medicaid. Am i looking at it wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• good luck.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 11:10 AM on May. 19, 2009

• No that sounds about right....with insurance and medicaide they are guaranteed their payment....with a customer paying cash they are not....so they stick it to those people. I am not saying it is fair but that is what they do....Good luck. I hope you can find something to help you out...That is alot of money
    Momm2Princess

Answer by Momm2Princess at 11:26 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Here is what you do. PUt your money aside. The financial lady comes in during yoru stay and talks payment arrangments. Some how end up only sending in 10-20 a month and as long as they cash them your fine. Eventually they will get bored of it and call with 1/2 to settle. We had horrible insurance with our first and did that because we were broke. About a year later they called offering a one time settlement had to be cash equilvant no credit cards.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Unfortunately, hospitals can do what they want. Whatever happens, MAKE SURE YOU GET IT IN WRITING.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 2:01 PM on May. 19, 2009

• without insurance.....hospital bills add up.... my brothers bill was like 15,000 just to have the er room
    mommy492006

Answer by mommy492006 at 2:22 PM on May. 19, 2009

• This is one more reason why we need single payer universal health care.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:36 PM on May. 19, 2009

• "This is one more reason why we need single payer universal health care."

Yeah, so we can ALL pay for EVERYONE ELSE'S hospital stays with our hardworking taxpayer dollars and wait in long lines to get treatment. Ahhh, that'll be the day.....

:)
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 2:48 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I think it sounds right. My dd was healthy and i had a "normal" uncomplicated delivery. I had to pay $4000 out of pocket. That was a $500 deductible twice because she was born Jan 4th so I had to pay a new deductible even though I had met it with the doctor during prenatal care. Then my dd wasn't covered by my insurance so the insurance paid 80% of her delivery and I had to pay for her hospital stay out of pocket and it was around $2000.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:03 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Well, I do billing for an ambulatory surgery center and I can tell you that no facility could survive on what Medicaid pays... They are always the lowest payer around. I know those amounts sound astronomical (and they are), they look pretty normal to me.

One of the biggest things I hate about what I do for a living is that people without insurance get screwed. They are pretty much billing you exactly what they would bill an insurance company BUT the insurance companies don't pay NEARLY that much. And sadly, one of the reasons you get screwed is that the hospital can actually get in trouble with the insurance companies if they charge you much less than they charge the insurance.

See if you qualify for any charity financial aide through your hospital or if you qualify for Medicaid (in some states you can get it just for your pregnancy if you don't have medical insurance).

Anonymous

• This may seem a bit off the wall, but it's popular around here. Have you considered hiring a midwife affiliated with a hospital? Sometimes there are birthing centers right next door. If there's complications you go to the hospital but if the delivery is normal you save a bundle. People who have done it feel the care is much more personal too.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 9:36 PM on May. 20, 2009