AM I A BAD MOM?

MY DAUGHTER HAS A TRIP TOMORROW AND I TOLD HER SHE CANT GO HER ATTITUDE IS VERY BAD AND WHEN I TOLD HER SHE SAID WELL SIGNED THAT SHE DIDN'T CARE THAT IT WAS GOING TO BE BORING AND JUST GAVE ME ATTITUDE YESTERDAY I HIDE THE PERMISSION SLIP IS THIS WRONG PLEASE ADVICE ME I FILL BAD

FIVEHAPPYHEARTS

Asked by FIVEHAPPYHEARTS at 11:14 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• No. You aren't a bad mom. She needs to learn. Parenting really sucks sometimes, huh? I feel like that all the time when I'm telling my son he can't have something.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:19 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Why would you feel bad responsibly disciplining your own child? At what point do you think you should discipline her if not this? You're the mom she's not. She can treat you as she wishes but disrespect outright more often than respect needs to be dealt with. The way to do that is either to beat the kid which is absolutely wrong or remove priivliges.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Nope sounds to me like you are being a good mom. Kids and adults alike need to understand that there are reactions to every action... Good for you Mom!!!
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 11:21 AM on May. 19, 2009

• i don't think you've done anything wrong.going on a trip is a privlege if she can't be good then she doesn't deserve to go.being a mother is hard and most of the time the punishment hurts us as bad as them,but it has to be done.
    kb24

Answer by kb24 at 11:21 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Kids need consequences. You are the mom. You make the decisions. If you don't set limits now it will only get worse. I know because I made the mistake with my daughter when she was a teen. now she is 22 and doing okay but my lack of saying no caused alot of problems. I do say no to my 12 yr. old son and he is so much easier to deal with. It is so oimportant for the kids to know who's in charge.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 11:22 AM on May. 19, 2009

• She has to learn that what she does has consequences. It took a long time, college actually, for my sons to realize that the choices they made caused what happened afterward. Until then they would blame their parents, their teachers, the universe, their friends, for things that happened to them instead of taking responsibility. (They wouldn't study for a test and then they would blame the teacher for an unfair test.- like that.) So it was your daughter's choice to behave in such a way that the trip was refused. This was her choice. She suffers the consequences of her own behavior.

Answer by Bmat at 11:24 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I dnt think that makes u a bad mom @ all. U did what u had 2 do 2 make her see that she can't keep that attitude & get away w/it. My dd is 11...goin thru the same attitude! She was grounded an entire week (btw, the weather was BEAUTIFUL). Ur dd probably acted as if she didn't care about the trip in hopes u would let her go. I hope her attitude changes 4 ya soon!
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 11:24 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I think most teens have a crappy attitude. Their hormones are raging. They are feeling confused and have alot of crazy thoughts going on in their minds. Plus they are trying to show their independance from you too. They think they can talk to us like they feel like. i really dont they realize how bad it comes across. Teens will grow out of it, it just takes time. Talk to her and ask her whats going on in her life, maybe it's something bothering her, that's why she's so rude or moody.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 11:32 AM on May. 19, 2009

• a bad mom, not at all....my son has an attitude all the time so he isnt allowed to get his driving permit until it changes. im sure it bothers her that she isnt going but she isnt going to show it to you. your point will get across and she will get over it.
    janetms29

Answer by janetms29 at 11:35 AM on May. 19, 2009

• You are not a bad mom. Be a mom first, friend second. I tell my son that he will not always understand why I do or say something, but I am doing it for his own good and one day he will understand. Then I tell him to go to his room and quit whining!:)
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 12:58 PM on May. 19, 2009