Potty training my DD but she doesn't talk?

She seems to be so interested and loves the toilet I bought her. If she sees the potty, she wants to sit on it and gets upset when I try to take it away. I know this is a sign I guess that she wants to start potty training, but she doesn't talk yet. Is it possible to start the training?

chela17

Asked by chela17 at 11:20 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it is possible. When my children couldn't talk i made up jesters that ment certain things. My children knew how to say please and thank you before they could talk. i bet that would work with your situation too. Good luck! I hope this helps.
    28Armywife

Answer by 28Armywife at 11:41 AM on May. 19, 2009

• It's very possible. They don't have to say words to tell you that they need to potty, just like they don't need words to let you know the things that they want. Just try and see how she does :)
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 11:45 AM on May. 19, 2009

• She already has gone pee, but I guess I'm like iffy on the fact about the poo because I've heard that a lot of kids get scared and don't end up going. I think I'm going to have to use my vacation time from work to get this down, lol. How do you suggest or have done the poo training to be encouraging so they don't get scared?
    chela17

Answer by chela17 at 11:48 AM on May. 19, 2009

• There is always sign language. My daughter doesn't talk much, either, but she is less frustrated when she knows how to sign for something.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 12:10 PM on May. 19, 2009

• She doesn't need to be able to talk. You can easily come up with a simple "i've go to go!" sign - something as simple as patting her front.

As for keeping her from getting scared to go poo, they only thing you can do is to make sure she gets plenty to drink and eats decent food so she doesn't get constipated. Other than that, you can't control if the big potty splashes her, if she doens't like the sound of her poop hitting the little potty, if she doens't like letting her poop go (it's part of me!). You just have to take those as they come. There are some fun books for pooping though - Where's the Poop, and Everyone Poops are two of our favorites.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:23 PM on May. 19, 2009

• CLOSE YOUR HAND INTO A FIST PUT YOUR THUMB UNDER YOUR INDEX FINGER AND MOVE BACK AND FOURTH THAT IS THE SIGN FOUR BATHROOM OT TOILET IN SIGN LANGUAGE
    FIVEHAPPYHEARTS

Answer by FIVEHAPPYHEARTS at 1:48 PM on May. 19, 2009