• In the Spotlight:

How to stop?

How do I get my daughter to stop sucking her thumb? She has been doing this since she was in the womb and has never stopped. She only sucks her thumb when she goes to bed but I want to put a stop to it now. She is 18 months old and goes to bed by herself and sleeps through the night. How do I stop the thumb sucking without messing up her schedule?
Also, she has a blanket that she has to have when she is tired and sleeps. She has to have the corner of it. So it is her security blanket. Do you think I should take it away from her or should I let her keep it?

Is it a big deal that she has the blanket at this age? My mom keeps telling me that she is too old to be sucking her thumb and having a blankey. What do you think? Please advice is really wanted!!

2wndrfl_btrflys

Asked by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:21 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There isn't much you can do about the thumb sucking. My daughter had a similar habit and everything I read said to not fight it, that while there are nasty tasting polishes and special devices that claim to help, they rarely work. All you can do is wait until she is willing to stop on her own.

As for the blankie, there is NO harm in a lovey. Most kids outgrow them by early grade school, some take them off to college where they stay hidden in the back of a drawer. There is no harm in letting her have it. If you are concerned it will get lost, make a "never leaves the house" rule.

And tell your mom to take 2 steps back and take a deep breath. (1) This is your daughter, not hers. (2) Your child isn't even TWO. The toddler and preschool years are very stressful for a child, their world changes nearly everyday. Thumbs and lovies help ease that stress.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:39 AM on May. 19, 2009

• My son was like that and he's going on 4. Still a thumb sucker! He has to have his blanket too. We've been leaving the blanket in his room, so he wont suck his thumb as much in the living room. I bought one of those fabric thumb guards and it works, but he just rips it off when he cant stand it any more. The dentist said there isnt much you can do about it. Just keep their hands busy as much as possible. My sister sucked her's till she was 14!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 11:28 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I dont know what you can do about the thumb thing but i wouldnt let her have her blanket all the time my cousin was like that and still to this day she is 15 if she goes somewhere where she is going to be gone all night her blanket has to go with her. I wouldnt take it away compleatly but just enough so she dosnt rely on it to go to bed and things like that. Good luck and hope you find something that helps.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:30 AM on May. 19, 2009

• if she is only sucking her thumb to sleep i wouldn't worry about it,but ther is some stuff you can put on their fingers for nailbiting it also works for that,i used it on my son but he always had his fingers in his mouth.,you can buy it at the grocery store but i don't remember the name of it.as far as the blanket try switching it out occastionally,my 3 year old stiil has his blankey that he prefers but he will use other ones.
    kb24

Answer by kb24 at 11:32 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Why are you trying to take security away from your child? If she needs the comfort of a blanket and her thumb to let her sleep then leave her be. I had a security blanket that I had to have until I was 12 and then it went across the room, but it was still there. I still have that blanket 16 years later. I currently use it while I snuggle up on the couch. In regard to the thumb sucking you aren't' going to be able to get her to stop. She will stop when she is ready. My SO sucked his thumb when he slept until he was 21. Sorry kids will stop when they are ready. He also twirled his hair on his head. He still does this when he is tired. Just let your LO be. It will eventually correct itself. Leave her security alone.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:04 PM on May. 19, 2009

• If she's only sucking her thumb while she sleeps, I don't see anything wrong with it...not yet..as for her blanket..let her keep it..when she's ready to give up the blanket she will...
    barefootbchbum

Answer by barefootbchbum at 12:26 PM on May. 19, 2009