Trying to Find a Way to Exercise that Works for Me

About 2 years ago, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. Having loved exercise before I became sick, I really miss it now. Has anyone out there found some gentle ways to exercise that don't leave your body in serious pain or fatigue afterwards? I would appreciate any thoughts you might have!

TeaAnderson

Asked by TeaAnderson at 11:24 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• yoga and some light stretching works for me. I have a bad back. You can find some Yoga tapes at your local library.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:25 AM on May. 19, 2009

• When I was dealing with depression and chronic pain I did a LOT of Yoga. Not only is it one of those excerses where you can do it on many differant levels but it also helped me with my energy levels and dealing with my other issues.

Also Thai Chi, it's very gentle on your body but again very centering.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 11:29 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Tai Chi and yoga. Swimming. Also check in your senior centers to see if they have a light exercise class or chair exercise class that would be suitable. Talk with the site manager to see if they would allow you to take the classes, considering your health problems, and you'd pay for the classes, of course. I had a neighbor in her 40's who has rheumatoid arthritis attend my chair classes, and she was very pleased at the mild exercise.

Answer by Bmat at 11:35 AM on May. 19, 2009