Does it bother you ?

When you see a largely overwieght child eatin a large amount of fast food?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on May. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sometimes it bothers me but thats how my brother was and his weight wasnt because of what he ate but some medication he was on for cancer. So it all depends. I always try to think that there could be a medical issue that is causeing them to be like that.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:27 AM on May. 19, 2009

• A child? No. An adult- yes!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on May. 19, 2009

• i feel bad for them. i was extrememly overweight when i was a child and i get made fun of a lot. it is not good for them, health wise. i dont feel it is my place to say anything. it is obviously a learned behavior...emotional eating. my parents did everything they could. they even put me on the slim fast diet when i was 9. i did not over eat...i was just fat. i still have self confidence issues today, and i am still a little overweight...
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 11:29 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Tyra had a show on yesterday about obese kids and it was very educational. It is the parents responsibility to teach healthy eating to kids but unfortunately many adults themselves are not educated on nutrition or limit setting. some parents feel its wrong to say no to food but I do it all the time with my son. My husband was overweight kid and suffered emotionally and physically. I would not want my child to suffer but really cannot control the decisions of other parents. I am glad that public education regarding nutrition is becoming more popular these days.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 11:29 AM on May. 19, 2009

• i didnt even think about medical. like Shelli mentioned. there are many other things as well. but long story short...yes, it makes me sad.
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 11:31 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Yes, it bothers me to a point. I feel really bad for the child but feel angry at the parents for letting them get so big and buy them fast food all the time. I get what Shelii is saying about medications, so that situation excluded. but I was watching Half Ton Teen last night and I about got sick. That is ridiculous.

I treat my kids to McDonalds Happy Meal-yes the nuggets, fries and chocolate milk, once a month. My two kids are 3 years and 18 months. Once a month we have a day out with the kids. We take them to a park, lake, family homes, etc and for lunch we stop at McDonald's. But Never would I take my kids every day or every week. that is so sad. Parents like that should be ashamed.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:31 AM on May. 19, 2009

• It makes me sad, but then again what makes me more sad is that there are parents that feel like food is simply something to fill the stomach, rather than what keeps the body alive and in good working order.

We are a culture that believes we should comfort ourselves with what tastes good. We've trained our childrens palate to desire fat and sugar. We human aren't born with those desires. We introduce those foods at young ages and then kids want them the same as we parents do.

Never pity an overweight child. He is being raised by his parents to be just like themselves. A Smith should raise a smith to be a smith. :) No one else can change that and a good parent doesn't need to change.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:31 AM on May. 19, 2009

• What bothers me is when obese parents walk in with obese kids and order the equivalent of two meals for each (kids included). It happened over the weekend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I have to say it does. The child doesn't bother me, it's the parent. Kids don't usually get that big unless the parent allows it. They should be reinforcing healthy eating habits.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on May. 19, 2009

• It depresses me immensely. Why?

Because *I* was always the overweight kid. My parents never taught me good eating habits. They just made pre-processed boxed meals or bought fast food, whatever what cheapest and quickest. They always were working late or needed time with their new spouses (they divorced when I was five). I feel that they weren't very responsible in the good nutrition part of parenting.

So I feel horrible for little kids that are overweight. I know EXACTLY how it feels. And now that I'm an adult, I feel even worse because now I know how adults feel about those kids. There were probably a million people thinking I was pathetic for being an overweight kid.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:34 AM on May. 19, 2009