Am I feeding her to much?

I just got off the phone with a nurse at my daughters doctors office and she told me that I am feeding her to much. She is 6 1/2 weeks old and eats 5-6 oz every 3 hours. She told me that I shouldn't give her more then 4-5 oz every 3 1/2 - 4 hours. During the night she sleeps longer but during the day she wants to eat after 3 hours. What should i do? The nurse told me to giver her a pacifier or to rock her when she starts getting fussy until it's been at least 3 hours. She said it could cause her tummy issues...

Emmasmom2009

Asked by Emmasmom2009 at 11:38 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter Emma was eating that much at 6 weeks. but I was feeding her every 4 hours. and she was sleeping through the night. I think you are doing fine. If your daughter does not take a pacifier now, then don't start. If you start rocking her whenever she is fussy, she will come to expect that.
    If I changed anything with your daughter it would be the 3 hours to 4 hours. My daughter was 8lbs 3ozs and at six weeks she was 11lbs. Doctor said she was eating just fine and was healthy.
    She is now 18 months old and is 28lbs. Doctor said she is still at a perfect weight.

Good Luck--go with YOUR instinct.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:43 AM on May. 19, 2009

• HA - at 4 weeks, my son was eating 8oz every 3-4 hours. He was fine. If she's eating, she's hungry.
    morethanme_you

Answer by morethanme_you at 11:47 AM on May. 19, 2009

• If she is hungry feed her. The nurses don't "know" your baby. You do. Keep doing what you are doing. What it seems like she is doing is eating more during the day so that she can sleep longer at night. My LO did this and still does. I would just go with infant led feeding and feed her on demand. If she take 4 oz or 6 oz, she is taking what she feels that she needs. Some babies with reflux need to eat less more often so as to not aggravate the problem. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:49 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Babies eat on demand. Not schedules. Of course, don't offer a bottle at every fuss. Offer something else to avoid overfeeding -rocking, conversation, toys, music, cuddles. If he's obviously hungry, feed him.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:26 PM on May. 19, 2009

• So the NURSE wants you to put your BABY on a DIET? I'd have a talk with the doctor and see about her taking some more education courses.

My sons ate 8oz every 2-3 hours at that age.

Is she puking a lot back up? No? Then it's not too much. If it was too much, she' puke it back up, that's why you can't overfeed a baby.

The baby knows when she's hungry better than you do, and especially better than that nutso nurse.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:35 PM on May. 19, 2009

• NO. I didn't read the rest of the question yet but I am sure that is the answer... Okay yes the answer is still no. Your child should be feeding on demand at that age. You are doing everything right and that nurse is on a power trip. You should fire her. Or certainly find a new doctor is that is a shared sentiment. When my son was one week- ONE WEEK old (and I one week postpartum) I had nurses and a doctor tell me that I had sentenced him to a life time of obesity because I supplemented with formula and he had gained back to his birth weight. I was a sobbing mess until we got out to the car and my husband told me that they were a bunch of douche bags and we were getting a second opinion. We took our baby to a new doctor who commended me on feeding my child. He is now two and a half and tall and skinny. Remember that you are the customer for that office. If you don't like what they are selling, move on!

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 3:03 PM on May. 19, 2009

• ha at 6 weeks i would ahve KILLED to lave more than an hour break between feedings!!!! it was breastfeeding every hour on the hour... soemtimes every half hour with my first......

m,y kids didnt wait 4 hours until they were about 5-6 months old....
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 7:15 PM on May. 19, 2009