Why am I tired and feel drained all the time?

So the past couple of days I've been really exhausted for no apparent reason. I'm not stressed, definately not depressed, and I sleep about 7-9 hours a night. By yesterday afternoon I was sooo exhausted I could barely keep my eyes open driving home. I got home, fed the kids dinner, ate a bowl of oatmeal and crashed on the couch. I didn't have energy to move at all. That was at 6 and I got back up at 8 to help get the kids to bed. Then had another bowl of oatmeal while hubby heated up left overs. A little while after I ate the oatmeal I felt better. I went to bed early thinking maybe I just didn't get enough sleep, but its 11 and I'm already feeling drained. I ran through a drive through and picked up chicken minis from chick fil a and drank a small coke with it. So I'm ruling out blood sugar being low? Any advice?

ranze11617

Asked by ranze11617 at 11:44 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Health

• Could you be pregnant? Could you be coming down with something? Have you been consuming more or less caffeine lately? Have you been exercising less?
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 11:54 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Definately not pregnant. Could I be coming down with something? Always the possibility, but I don't really feel sick other than my stomach issues (have gastritis). No more or no less caffeine than usual and the exercising is the same too.
    ranze11617

Answer by ranze11617 at 11:56 AM on May. 19, 2009

• You might want to have your GP check your thyroid hormone level. If it's too low it can cause fatigue, weight-gain, brittle nails and a host of other issues, all relatively minor but annoying. Good luck!
    gwendogray

Answer by gwendogray at 12:09 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Maybe a vitamin deficiency? I was having similar problems and I think mine may have been not enough B12 since I didn't really eat much meat. I've been focusing on what I'm eating, and I also quit drinking what little caffeine I did consume since I was having sleeping problems, too, and I've been feeling so much better.
    Elsasmom

Answer by Elsasmom at 1:09 PM on May. 19, 2009

• pregnancy, thyroid, low iron, B12 deffciant, vit D defficiant, or you could have an issue w/ wheat. People who have problem with wheat it makes them extremly tired
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 2:12 PM on May. 19, 2009

• also could be sleep breathing problem. Go to the doc and get some test run. Consider trying to decrease your wheat intake to see if that helps
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 2:13 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Are you drinking enough water? Being even the teeniest bit dehydrated can leave you feeling pooped. Are you eating your fruits and vegetables? You should be eating 7-8 servings a day, in at least 3 different colors. Are you eating your whole grains? You should be eating 6-7 servings a day. Eating meat, diary and simple grains can also sap your energy. Legumes (beans, lentils, tofu) will give you more energy.
    If you are eating well and staying hydrated, then you should go see your health care professional.
    Good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 2:59 PM on May. 19, 2009

• get your bllod checked to see about your iron levels, and get a full blood count I was in bed for 4 days no energy and just VERY blahhhh, i tought it was just a flu or something simple after 6 days i went to emergency room and neededa blood transfusion because my blood count was so low, now we need to find out why that was so i am currently getting all kinds of test. I hope your ok dont worry till you know what it is, but also dont ignore it good luck hun let me know ok
    teej

Answer by teej at 7:39 AM on May. 21, 2009