Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should a parent take a child to a psychologist to treat the child's bed-wetting?


Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on May. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • It depends.
    Is the child over age 8? If not, back off, it's normal.

    Is this a new behavior after something changed in his life: new school, new baby, etc? If so, it should resolve itself as he gets over the stress. Gently reward dry nights and do not punish wet ones.

    Has the child been examined for physical causes? If not, make an appointment today.

    Have there been other behavior changes? If so, then talk to his doctor about your concerns. Some kids can start wetting after huge upsets in their life - such as being molested or losing a parent. Parents don't always know what's going on and in this case a child psychologist may help.

    If he is over age 4, has no physical problems, no new stressors in his life, and hasn't recently started wetting, talk to his doctor about a bedwetting alarm. Retraining his sleeping brain may do the trick.

    Answer by kaycee14 at 12:11 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • UM.....NO. If the child is under the age of 5 then it happens. If they are 6+ then they may have a bladder problem and not able to hold it or be able to wake up when they get the feeling. I would take my child to a regular doctor and not a psychologist.

    Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:48 AM on May. 19, 2009

  • Some children can wet the bed at night until around the age of 9. If they are still wetting the bed then I would seek help. It is a fairly common thing. Don't worry about it to much or the child will become self conscious.

    Answer by coala at 11:52 AM on May. 19, 2009

  • You can, but I would only do that if you've noticed other behavioral changes as well. Otherwise it might just be the normal childhood stuff.

    Answer by ajguinn at 11:59 AM on May. 19, 2009