Amniocentesis at 37 weeks....

I am having an amniocentesis Friday to check for fetal lung maturity...I have been dilated to 3 1/2cm for four weeks now and at a +1 station (baby is extremely low) , and I live an hour and a half away from the hospital. The doctors thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and do the amnio, and if it was positive induce me Friday...anyone else had one done at 37 weeks and what were the results? Oh yeah, I had steroids shots at 33weeks...I had went into pre-term labor.

collinjs15

Asked by collinjs15 at 11:47 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would opt against it myself. The fact that the lungs are matured at 36 weeks (most babies) and that you had the steroid shots. (BUT THAT IS JUST ME) My Aunt had an amnio at 36 weeks and the doctor who had done this procedure plenty of times before, did something wrong. The baby was born that day with a needle stick in his arm.

I was offered the same thing at 37 weeks and I lived a little over an hour away from the hospital. I still opted against the amnio and said my baby will come when he wants to. I had him at exactly 40 weeks perfectly healthy. I put myself on bed rest and my husband and my mom helped me every day.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:53 AM on May. 19, 2009

• i would NEVER get an amnio at 37 weeks and that is speaking from personal experience! It is such a small risk of fetal death but its a risk that I was not willing to take When I was pregnant with my son, it was determined at 24 weeks that I needed surgery as soon as it was safe to get him out so that I could have the surgery. My surgeon talked to my OB and they decided that she would induced at 37 weeks and he would do the surgery a few days post pardem. Well... when I was 35 weeks prego, she informed me that she would be doing an amnio before she delivered. That was not ok with me so I went to another practice for a second opinion and that OB said there was no reason to amnio at that point.

But why do you have to be induced so early? With my second pregnancy I was 5 cm at 37 weeks and +2 station and I was type B strep positive but I still didnt get induced til 38 weeks
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:22 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I wouldnt get that amnio done- It holds risks that I wouldnt be willing to take at 37 weeks, your baby is developed- not to mention you were giving steriods so your babys lungs are FINNNEE- what level hospital is this-level 3 or above- or is there no NicQ???
    I GUESS if there not equipt to diliver the a per term baby-and there is no NicQ maybe.......No, I still wouldnt do it... 37 weeks your baby is FINE, there is no need to risk it, I would "miss' your apt, or get a second opnion-and why do u want to be induced so early-why not wait it out?
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 1:08 PM on May. 19, 2009

• what is the point of induction? is it because you are an hour away from the hospital? if so that isn't much of a reason...as my midwife says and as I say...the only birth she worries about are the long drawn out ones, which leaves plenty of time to get to a hospital...those fast and quick labors are usually not to worry about.

personally I wouldn't get the amnio and I would not induce. It is sooooo much easier for you and healthier for the baby to just go naturally. And think you are almost half way there and your labor hasn't even started yet.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 1:11 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I have been going to a high risk practice due to previous problems, and having a still birth before....I see 9 different high risk doctors, and I am sure that they know what they are doing. My question was, has anyone ever had a amniocentesis at 37 weeks and what were the results...
    collinjs15

Answer by collinjs15 at 2:20 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Sorry! Bump!!!
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 6:20 PM on May. 19, 2009