Period questions. Not for the squeamish. :)

Okay, my daughter is 10 1/2 and she just started her first period the other day. She has some mood swings, but no cramping no discharge or anything that we read about in the little pamphlets. (Yes, I had to read pamphlets... 18 years is was a long time ago!) So, is it normal to start this early? Is it normal to not have any other symptoms? How long do I expect her to go? How heavy? And finally.... is she too young for tampons?

Sorry for all these questions. And I know everybody is different, I just want some ideas. Thanks in advance ladies. :)

almostcrazee

Asked by almostcrazee at 11:59 AM on May. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yes, she is too young for tampons, stick with pads for a while. i wouldn't introduce tampons until she is about 14-15. Also, it depends on your daughters body on how long or how heavy she will bleed. and it is normal for a child to start that early. I was almost 10 when I got my first period. I would go ahead and let her have her first check up with a GYN though. and it is normal for her not to have any other symptoms. Just make sure she bathes every day she has her period.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:03 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Yes i do believe that she is to young for tampons. I do know that some may think thats it to early for her to start her period i was 10 when i started also. Im sorry i can't remember what symptoms i had when i started it's been 21 yrs. :)
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 12:04 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I thought they made tampons for younger girls/teenagers...? or am I just thinking of pads...should check that out. My mom gave me OB to try out when I got mine. I couldn't figure out how to use them so I didn't use tampons until I was older just because I didn't know anyone to ask how to use them. I bled for one day when I was ten years old in November, exactly a year later when I was eleven, in November I started my period for real. I was the second in my class. I am thirty now so this was a long time ago. I think kids are starting earlier tho now these days.
    Abee22

Answer by Abee22 at 12:12 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I used tampons the second day of my first period. I hated pads i thought they felt like dipers. It was weird for me at first but i got used to it. It was super heavy for me for about 15 days with my first period. I had the bad moode but didnt cramp till later on durring my first. This wasnt to long ago for me i started my first period when i was in the first week of my 8th grade year. and i just graduated 2 years ago so it hasnt been to long for me. Hope everything goes well.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:21 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Girls can start their period anywhere from age 8 and up. Yes, age 8!! I started my period when I was 12 and used pads at first and then switched to tampons at age 13. I hate pads. They do sell those teen tampons now that are really skinny. Talk to her about it. She may be freaked out about putting something "up there". Or, she will like tampons better. Good luck.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 12:27 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My mother gave me the option of what I wanted to use. She even offered the Depends disposable underwear. (?!?!?) Glad I turned those down. ;)
    It's a good thing to take her to the Gyn now, but try to be really supportive and discuss exactly what's going to happen. I know a lot of PCPs will do Well Woman Exams, that may be a good choice if she is already used to that doctor.
    Also, remind her that just because she's had this one does not mean she'll be regular from here on out. I personally went 9 months after the first one at 11. One sister went 3-4 months after the first one, and my other sister started out regular. But she'll need to be prepared from here on out, b/c there is nothing worse than being caught w/o a pad when it happens and at her age her friends aren't likely to have them to lend.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 12:46 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I agree, too young for tampons. We all start at different times. The women in my family have all been late bloomers with bras and periods. Have her keep a calender so she can learn her patteren. You two then will know how long and her moods. This way she won't be that girl at school that started her period in class. She will know that it's coming and will know to keep things in her backpack. Our bodies are all different so the symptoms and length can be different. This is a time that you can teach her so much. (Not too much) but about respecting herself. I was the girl that kids picked on because I had a flat chest junior high school. Kids are growing up so fast now days. Makes me feel old. Good Luck!
    Peacefully

Answer by Peacefully at 1:50 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I started my period at around that age and was regular ever since. They only time I was late I was pregnant. And I used tampons at that age they are called slim fits. But it depends on her body as to whether or not they are comfortable or not. If she is interested in trying them I would just buy a few slim fits and if she doesn't like them she doesn't have to use them. I would also try this at home so you can be sure to watch for TSS symptoms.
    Anonymous

• There are two factors in girls getting their periods early: family history and the hormones in cow meat and dairy.
    If your daughter is comfortable enough with her body to try tampons, then she should. Get her a junior or slim size. My daughter's first period was just before she turned 13; she taught herself how to use tampons so she would not miss any water fun at overnight camp.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:58 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Dont worry I have a 11y/o who started last month........sunday night was her second time and its heavier. Im learning all this myself for my daughter. I have a 13 y/o who hasnt started yet..i was expecting her to start before my 11 y/o...so the 13 y/o was more prepared.
    momnc28341

Answer by momnc28341 at 8:57 PM on May. 19, 2009