could be my bb's toungue tie the cause he is not babling yet?

My 9 months old baby is not babling yet....could be his toungue tie the cause? he is cooing but not babling? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not neccessarily...see if he will copy you sticking our tongue out..If he can do it, then, no.

Also, alot of kids don't babble at that age, some don't even coo and some can say a few words. I would give it time. Like till age one.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:04 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Can he stick it out? Wiggle it around? He may just be a late talker. Wont hurt to have the pedi check it out though.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:04 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My son is 7 months and has the tongue tied thing. He babbles but doesn't say anything yet. I hear if he is eating well then don't worry about the tongue yet. I think the ear,nose, throat doc takes care of the tongue tied. My friends friend got hers taken care of now at the age of 28. Don't know why she finally did it.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 12:19 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I have a really bad tongue tie, like I can't even stick it out. I talk fine, my mom said I started talking at 6 months. It's probably just your baby, my son is 9 months and he doesn't talk except for "BABABABABABA" all day.
    Anonymous

• my dtr was tongue tied too, we had the ENT "sniP" the frenulum...it wasn't a bad procedure, like 5 mins. she was 2 weeks old when we had it done. He said it could lead to speech prob. if not corrected because the limited mobility of the tongue impairs some consonants and stuff..but not too worry...he's a little young for that, each will start at a diff. age, and the tongue tie thing doesnt have to do with the actual "ability" to speak just the pronunciation
    clransom

Answer by clransom at 1:16 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I don't think it would have any impact on his babbles. It might later on with some of his speech but shouldn't now. I would talk to your doctor about it, your baby should be making sounds like ma, da, ba, la
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:28 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I would take LO to a specialist (ears, nose and throat) and have them look at his tongue. My son was severely tongue tied and they snipped him while we were still in the hospital. Ever time poor guy went to cry or yawn he was gasp in pain because his tongue would "V" in his mouth since he couldn't lift it up. He couldn't even hold his tongue to breastfeed. Now he is almost 9 months and he babbles and coos and says mama and dada. I would look into it, because the procedure isn't as bad as it sounds, your mouth is the fastest healing part of your whole body.

MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 2:49 PM on May. 19, 2009