What kind of message does this send?

I read today that Susan LeFevre (that lady that escaped from prison 30 years ago and was caught living under a new name) was released from prison, and given probation by a judge.

I can sympethize with her, and I don't think she deserves to be locked up after starting a new life. That would just screw up her kids and husband.

But does this send the message that if you escape from prison and manage at stay hidden long enough, you'll get away scott free?

mmmommy0207

Asked by mmmommy0207 at 12:04 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know...I don't believe she should have been given such a harsh sentence in the first place. However, she was sentenced and she did escape. This is sending a very bad message to the prisoners. They just found an escapee here where I live and he escaped 25 years ago and they sent him back to prison for the rest of his life. I think she is damn lucky she didn't get thrown back in prison. She would deserve it because she did break the law. I don't care if she has kids and a great husband, that was her choice to live a lie, and steal the social security number of a dead woman and share a life with an man and raise children. She should be charged with identity theft and be prosecuted as the fugitive she is.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:11 PM on May. 19, 2009

• No because there are several people who escaped years and years ago, and have been caught recently just to be thrown back it.
    Anonymous

• what did she do?
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 12:34 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Has she been living an honest life? Then you may say she has been rehabilitated.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:53 PM on May. 19, 2009

• She deserves to serve more time in Prison. What I saw reported said she lived crime free for 32 years that is not true. She was breaking the law everyday she was on the run. Any hurt to her family would be on her. If she was a man she would be staying put in prison. Put the skank back in prison she is a criminal.
    Anonymous

• Who cares she has kids and a husband now? Why should we sympathize for someone who escaped from prison, stole a dead persons SS number and has managed to stay hidden for so long? Of course it's sending a terrible message to prisoners! Thats a no brainer...
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 3:10 PM on May. 19, 2009