What kind of Chores do your kids do?

I have three boys. 4,6&15. All have summer birthdays. My oldest only does the dishes and even at that, not very well. He really doesn't like to do anything. Maybe it is a teenager thing. Anyhow, I really want to give my younger boys some chores to do to help them become more responsible. We don't have pets, so feeding the dog and picking up poop is not an option. (I know that would have been an easy place to start) I am looking for some ideas.

eluc

Asked by eluc at 12:10 PM on May. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 8 year old takes out the recycles every day, empties out the kitchen trash can and takes out the trash from the bathrooms and bedrooms. On the weekends he has to clean his room and pick up the shoes that are left downstairs and take them up to eveyone's room (we have 2 kids, 2 (12 years and the 8 year old)
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:15 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My 12 yr. old son takes out the trash. sets and clears the table, cleans his room and the den. He puts away his laundry and helps dad clean the cars and the garage and the yard. He is learning how to clean the bathroom and does a pretty good job with those disposable wipes. My daughter is 22 and she did NOTHING! now she has her own place and its a little scary...
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 12:16 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Take out the trash.
    Dust a room
    Make their bed
    Clean the bathroom
    Vaccume
    Rake outside

Thats all i can think of now. Those are some of the things that we had to do in my family growing up. Just some ideas hope they help.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:16 PM on May. 19, 2009

• They are resonsible for cleaning their rooms and for taking out trash. Every once and a while they will help me with straightening up the living room.
    Mommy3b1g

Answer by Mommy3b1g at 12:16 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Folding laundry,vacuuming,taking out the trash, yard work,putting dishes away,loading the dish washer,making beds,cleaning room,washing walls,bathroom duties ect. I made my children a chore schedule. I give prizes at the end of the week for accomplishing all there chores. I get help around the house and they get a little prize and we are happy. Well good luck.

akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 12:18 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My dd has things in the summer that she has to do just because she is part of th family. Like clearing table after dinner. I rinse and stack..she loads dishwasher. She has to make bed, put her folded laundry away, and put dirty clothes in hamper. If she wants to earn money this summer I will make a list of chores that each have a dollar amount next to them and I will sign off on them each night and pay her weekly. It will be like dusting living room 50 cents. Vaccuum house 50 cents. Pull weeds in front beds $1. I haven't tried this yet, but this is what we are doing in the summer. My dd can empty dishwasher, sort laundry, fold laundry, put away her own stuff,dust and vaccuum and she is only 7.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:18 PM on May. 19, 2009

• my dd age 12
    puts dishes away
    washes dishes ( rewashes them if there not washed right )
    takes out the trash
    scoops litter ( every morning till it just needs to be changed )
    sweeps bathroom floor
    and fold her own laundry ( sometimes she helps me fold. )
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 12:26 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My kids are 6, will be 7 in July and they :

carry in groceries that aren't too heavy
    put the groceries up
    clean their rooms
    clean the bathroom - one does the sinks and counter, the other does the bathtub and sweeps the floor

they also clean up behind theirselves throughout the house
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 1:00 PM on May. 19, 2009

• If you want the two younger ones to do more chores.. that will be hard unless you hold your oldest responsible trust me it will seem like your playing favorites if you they don't all have chores.
    If the oldest refuses to do his chores he stays home & loses all his privileges.
    The oldest can mow the lawn & other yard care, do the dishes, be responsible for his own laundry,keep his room clean& cook breakfast on the weekend.
    The six year old can clean his room, take out the trash. The four year old can clean his room.
    You need to hold the 15year old responsible so he can be an example to the other kids.
    Chores should be age appropriate & the older you are the more you get.

maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:02 PM on May. 19, 2009

• They pick up after themselves, keep their laundry in the basket, dishes in the sink, and keep their grades at an A or above. That's all they need to do. If they choose to do other things I don't argue but it's not their responsibility. It's mine so I do it.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 2:39 PM on May. 19, 2009