• In the Spotlight:

MY BABY IS 10 MONTHS AND SHE IS STARTING TO WANT TO WALK.. WHAT ARE GOOD BABY TRAINING SHOES? AND WERE DO YOU BUY THEM?

ANY ADVICE IN WHAT SHOES TO BUY AND WERE? AND WHAT DID YOU DO WITH YOUR BABY

Hyde3

Asked by Hyde3 at 12:20 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just went to walmart and bought shoes that had a slightly harder bottom. as he gets used to walking in his shoes then you can change them for any shoe. my son walked better without shoes but he still loves his shoes, but when we are around the house he doesn't put his shoes on.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:22 PM on May. 19, 2009

• It's best to let them walk without shoes as much as possible, especially when they are just learning. Payless has good shoes though :)
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:23 PM on May. 19, 2009

• No shoes is the best shoe. Anything else can hinder the natural motion and development of the feet. If anything, buy very, very soft-soled shoes. The only reason we need shoes is to protect the bottom of our feet while walking outside.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:26 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Going barefoot is the absolute best! Robeez or a soft shoe that mimics barefeet is good for when they have to wear shoes, like when you're outside.
    Anonymous

• Bare foot is best. If it's cold, you can use socks with grippy bottoms (Target, Walmart) or soft leather shoes (Target, Robeez, etc).

When she starts playing outside - walking down the sidewalk, playing at the park - get low top sneakers with VERY flexible bottoms.
    I decided Stride Rite was worth the price at this early stage. I've since also discovered that Payless sells pretty good kids shoes. Just remember that the old advice of super stiff high-topped shoes with rigid soles is VERY OLD advice. They probably won't harm her feet but they won't do them any good and they certainly don't make it easier for her to learn to walk.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:29 PM on May. 19, 2009

• No shoes is best, or shoes with a very flexible, soft bottom. I used either Robeez or the Target version of Robeez with my daughter. She used these outside on cement, too. If you can't bend the shoe almost in half, then the sole is too hard. Make sure that they do not restrict the ankles.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 1:32 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My son is also 10 months and trying to walk. We've always had shoes on him since he was tiny... but I've found that shoes now just make him trip and get hurt. So now mostly he is bare foot. If I do put shoes on him the soft shoes work best... if they have a hard or not very flexible bottom then they just get in his way.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:00 PM on May. 19, 2009

• We used Pedipeds. Best shoe ever. They open up wide so that you can fit their foot in without having to fight them and they are super soft soled. I only use shoes on my son in public and out doors. Around the house we are always barefoot. You can sometimes get great deals on Pedipeds on eBay.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 2:44 PM on May. 19, 2009

• The best thing for a childs foot who is learning to walk is to be bare. And never ever put those hard bottomed shoes on them for any reason. You try to walk without bending your foot or toes. You will be walking like Frankenstein.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 2:48 PM on May. 19, 2009

• No shoes are best when learning to walk!!!
    ohmommamia

Answer by ohmommamia at 4:06 PM on May. 19, 2009