Would you get your hair colored at a cosmetology school?

My hair is in need of a corrective color. I've been coloring my hair dark for years and now I want to go lighter. No way I can do it on my own, and all the salons I call are giving me prices around $200. I've got about an inch of new growth which at 29 years old is GREY...been going grey since I was 14 actually LOL. Anywhoo - I want to lighten my hair up so that when it grows out the contrast between the grey hair and the colored isn't so dramatic. So what i'm wondering from you all - is would you get your hair done at a school for a lower price?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• i went to beauty school. everthing is supervised by an instructor, but honestly...its jstu liek an salon. there are the really good ones and the really bad ones. if you know anyone who has gone, ask who they went to and if they were good. you can request certain student if you know of one. start asking around. asking for a senior student doesnt necessarily mean anything cuz there are some that graduate that still arent good. but there are some in there that are awome too. sorry i seem to be rambling, anyway...jsut ask around...and then you should be good going there. its great practice for them too!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 12:33 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I have and both DD';s have. it's ok.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:17 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I would never be anyone's guinea pig. I want someone who actually knows what they're doing with anything, not just cutting my hair.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:11 AM on May. 20, 2009

• If you're getting something simple done go for it, but plan on being there about 6 hours. The instructors are constantly overseeing and they go pretty slow to make sure it's done right. If you want something drastic I would go to a professional, although you can ask for a senior.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 8:51 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Once I got my hair done at a 'SCHOOL' and I LOVED it!!!!!!!! However, the results dont always turn out EXCELLENT EVERYTIME!!! I grew up with a mother that LOVED to color hair, so we would color my hair all the time and if we messed up, it was okay... its just hair! You have to be able to accept that it is just hair, so if they do mess up, you arent 100% freaking out! You can usually pick someone that is closer to graduating if you want to, Im pretty sure!!! I LOVE it... I wont go anywhere else now! You gotta at least try it! My hair at a salon is $260 to color it! So anything is better than that! LOL I have even colored my own hair at home before! LOL
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 1:25 AM on May. 21, 2009