Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Emancipation Question?

My 16 year old darling neice has a 6 month old son she's been having a VERY hard time with her living situation with parents shes been crying every night, the anger her father has for everyone else is taken out on her. She has a great paying job for a teen makes 12 dollars an hour and gets 80 dollars a week in child support. I told my neice that i would pay for food for her if she paid rent for the appartment because i dont have any room at all left in my apartment. If she is finanical fit do you think they would grant her emancipation?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

Answers (9)
  • Probably, but she will also be under supervision of child welfare services (maybe) it may be a recommendation from the court to make sure she can parent the child. I hope she gets granted.

    Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:32 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • Depending on the state that you are in things are a little bit different. But it sounds like she would have that granted. As long as she can prove she has a place to stay transportation to work or school and money for food. Then it should be fine. She will most likley have a court date and she will need to show why she needs to be out of where she is now. That can be the hardest part of the whole process. Good luck and hope things work out.

    Answer by Shelii at 12:35 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • Judges look at alot of diffrent things in the case of immancipation. The financial aspect is just one of them. They will look and see what she is doing about her education as well as even her mental health background. Have her start calling attorneys most will consult for free the first time and tell her where to go from there. The fact she is already a mom will also make a diffrence in her favor.

    Answer by okmommy08 at 12:36 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • Oh man, 16 is still so young, even if she is a responsible person with a good job. But I know that living in a bad environment is terrible for both her and the baby. I guess it depends on what kind of judge you get. Some will say she is too young. Others may go for it. They may also hold it against her that she got pregnant so young. They will consider it irresponsible. Good luck.

    Answer by GMR at 12:55 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • If she can prove she can take care of herself she can be emancipated. But it is at the descretion of the judge. If she gets a judge who thinks she shouldn't be emancipated, even if she can take care of herself he can rule against her. But in most cases she can.

    Answer by TeriMelisa at 1:06 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • she can amncipat her self Lol, once she has a child she is already considered emancipated- at least in the state of Wisconsin anyway

    Answer by judith_visco at 3:42 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • If she can prove she can take care of herself she can be emancipated...Im 17 and pregnant and im not automaticlaly emancipated (I live in california) so being able to get automatically emancipated when pregnant must depend on your state...

    Answer by hug4akiss at 4:19 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • She could petition the courts along with you to grant you temporary guardianship of her until she turns 18, so she can move in with you. It sounds like she is in an unsafe living environment and it isn't good for her child either. I am sure it differes from state to state, so contact an attorney and see what you can do for her.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:53 PM on May. 19, 2009

  • i was going to try it when i was younger at her age and u have to be able to prove that she has enough money to support herself or it also could be possible that they could turn their rights over to u and u could give her more freedom let her have an apartment help her out like u said and u get to claim her on ur taxes. i always thought i could be wrong that u were emincipated when u had a child or ur own. she could always just leave and if the cops come and try to find her just let them know what going on and it will go to court for a hearing. as long as she is financially stable getting out isnt that hard.

    Answer by monroemommyof2 at 2:18 AM on May. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.