Does anyone have a kid who won't eat fruits or veggies? what do you gie them to make sure they are getting the nutrients they need?

LainysMommy

Asked by LainysMommy at 1:06 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Health

• Try to give them a daily vitamin. They come in all sorts of varieties now. They're more like candy than vitmains! Gummy versions and whatnot. Just be sure to keep them out of your kiddo's reach so they don't down the whole bottle. Have you tried giving them fruits and veggies with dip? My daughter doesn't like eating most of her veggies (with the exception of tomatoes) without ranch dressing.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 1:09 PM on May. 19, 2009

• When my son was a baby, he devoured every baby food out there! Now he's 2 1/2 and he rarely wants to eat fruits or veggies. I try to hide them, sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. But I mainly just try to make sure he gets 3 good meals a day with 2-3 healthy snacks in between. He loves yogurt, applesauce and mini rice cakes for snack or with dinner! I also occasionally buy the fruit cups- he loves thoughs every once in a while!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 1:09 PM on May. 19, 2009

• make juice! buy a juicer and mix in vegies and fruits together...they wount even know it!that's what i do:)
    I let them come up with the name for the juice and they get so exited to get it, the wake me up asking make me hulk juice lol
    oh yea recipie for hulk juice :green apple , celery, cucuber , lemon...its very tasty and looks green
    Anonymous

• I made a deal with mine...he knew he had to eat at lest a bite of his veggies. But, that was all I could get out of him. Then, one day, I decided I had enough and he needed to eat. So, I made a different green veggie that I knew he really detested every night for a week and had him eat at least three bites. He gagged and cried and vomitted. I then gave him the option to finish whatever veggies I gave him everyday or he could eat a nice serving size portion of mixed veggies. He agreed to eat a nice portion of mixed veggies. I still, at 13, have those in the freezer just incase he doesn't like whatever were haveing. He can fix his own bowl now.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:13 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Does he drink juice? Will he eat yoguart with fruit in it? Maybe a phase- he'll eat more things as he gets older. Have u tried cutting up carrots real small and hiding them in noodles or sauce?
    pamom222

Answer by pamom222 at 1:13 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I found that if I let my daughter help make the food, she's more willing to eat it. I let her rip up the lettuce leaves for salad or put the chopped veggies on her pizza (making pizza is her favorite). Most of the time she'll munch on the vegetables while we're making the food-she likes thinking she's sneaking them, I don't care where she eats them or why as long as she eat them. Sometimes, I chop vegetables really small so she has a harder time picking them out and then scramble them in some eggs, or you could do that with other dishes, too.
    Elsasmom

Answer by Elsasmom at 1:23 PM on May. 19, 2009

• yeah she is 1 and a half and if she gets any kind of vegetable or fruit beside applesauce or banana in her mouth it comes right back out. I swear she has a vegetable monitor she won't even put them in her mouth even if they ar mixed with something. its got to be the texture. I just feel like she doesn't get anything healthy!!
    LainysMommy

Answer by LainysMommy at 1:29 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Remember, tho that as long as good food is placed in front of her, then she won't actually starve. Many parents believe tho that the whole point is to get the child to eat something, anything, just something to fill the tummy. The problem with this is that usually the child has developed a taste for sugar and prefers anything that has sugar in it, including yogurts.

I would simply offer 3 good meals of day that are made of quality protein (bologna and the like wouldn't qualify LOL), fresh or cooked fruit, and vegetables that are reasonable in taste. I'd leave off desserts and esp. sugar drinks. Remember that the body requires good clean water to live.

Young children won't eat unless they are hungry (their tummy is empty) and snacks simply fill the tummy and keep them from having a true hearty desire to eat. I wouldn't offer juice or snacks in between meals. The goal is to have her body work best with good food. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 1:41 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Carnation instant breakfast is my go-to when my toddler won't eat.

The fresh fruits and veggies are always better, but on bad teething days she doesn't seem intersted in eating anything at all.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 2:52 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Keep offering a variety of healthy foods. If you give in, and just give your kid Kraft dinner and chicken nuggets, you will have an even bigger problem on your hands.
    Here are some suggestions for various ages: frozen peas and frozen blueberries. Make a smoothie with frozen banana, frozen blueberries, vanilla yogurt (the real kind with live cultures and without gelatin), orange juice, kale; the kale has iron and the vitamin C in the OH increases the absorbtion of the iron.
    Kids love to dip: cut fruit in yoghurt; cut up veggies in hummus or salad dressing.
    Every week, take your child to the grocery store and let your child pick one fruit or vegetable to introduce to the famliy: star fruit, jicama, etc.
    Kids love to eat what they prepare; take your child to the library and take out a kids cookbook (I love Pretend Soup); or let your child look for recipes at www.spatulatta.com, a kids cooking website.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:54 PM on May. 19, 2009