To help save the environment would you

be willing to use home made sanitary pads instead of store bought? What about using sea pearls instead of disposable tampons? How about cloth diapers instead of disposables? All of these items use chemicals that are harmful to the environment during the breaking down of these trash items, as well as causing more health problems for the users of these products. Are you willing to be a crunchy mama, and if not, why?

http://www.jadeandpearl.com/catalog/index.php

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• yep. I use a menstrual cup, cloth diapers, and cloth wipes. I am considering cloth instead of toilet paper. oh, and I don't live in the woods by myself, and last time I checked the right to choose my own hygiene products was mine. I even have the right to stink if I want to (though I don't). I don't think I'm gross and stupid, but I'm pretty sure that in the USA I have the right to be both of those things too if I want. Anyway, they are both subjective. If you ask me, filling landfills with human feces is gross, and using up natural resources at a very alarming rate just so you don't have to clean up after your own bodily functions is stupid. (Though I would not have used that term if someone else hadn't already brought it up).
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:51 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Oh good lord. I am sure the government is going to find a way to tax feminine hygiene products now.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:28 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Clothe diapers, maybe. Pads and tampons, no.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 1:30 PM on May. 19, 2009

• If someone wants to cut their own sheep fur for an occassional tampon, that's great as long as they live in the woods by themselves.
    Going green is one thing, camping in your "house" is something different, but just being gross and stupid is another. Nobody wants to be around people that stink.
    I like soap and garbage bags.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 1:41 PM on May. 19, 2009

• OP here. There are conspiracy theories about everything. I have read that the manufacturers of those disposable products use chemicals that affect the body so as to make our use of those products more dependant. Like the chemicals they use for tampons can cause heavier periods, so you will use more tampons. Same with pads.
    The diapers, I have read that some babies have allergic reactions to the chemicals and get really bad rashes. I don't think that's as prevalent though.

Anonymous

• Doesn't using the water and detergent and electricity to wash the feminine products and cloth diapers cancel out any green savings from using them?
    Anonymous

• Interesting point quinnmae. I wonder if it would be possible for the government to exercise a tax on disposable hygiene products? After all, they are filling our landfills and letting harmful chemicals into our soil.

Anonymous

• I think all of these items are great if you want to do them, so why don't you? Knock yourself out and then influence those around you to make them want to do what you do. That's how to get others to follow, and that's to lead.

Not something I see our mr. Gore willing to do, nor Oprah, nor Mr. Obama. For that matter I don't see the hollywood stars that preach the color green living the way they want to impress the public to do. Why won't someone do a reality show like "Ed" showing the benefits and the ease or improvement of life, by doing what they aaallll want us to do?

Hey, I recycle big time. My biggest hobby right now is to find ways to re-use everything I have in my home. And I'm NOOOO tree-hugger. Just frugal enough to have fun creating things reusing what I have on hand. I'm having fun.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 1:50 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Anon 1:48: YES! There is an excellent argument to be had for this! Using the gas or electricity to heat the water, the water to wash, and usually the gas/elec to dry is just as expensive AND "un-green" as buying disposable.

To the OP: No. I support being responsible, but being "green" is just stupid.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 1:51 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I see what you are saying anon 12:48, but you would be saving landfill space and preventing more chemicals from entering our soil and water.

Anonymous