what do you do when your daughter won't eat anything you make her?

food, children, picky eater

cherryyumyum7

Asked by cherryyumyum7 at 1:26 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have this problem and the worst thing I did was cater to my son's picky eating habits. It's 8 years old and I still find myself catering to his pickiness and it causes problems with my husband and I because my son still refuses to eat his food. Now that he's 8 he sits at the table until he finishes and I do feel bad but it gets to the point where he could sit there for 30 minutes to finish a piece of steak. Try to still make your child eat what you make but smaller portions if possible, it's hard to make the kids eat something that they don't like but trust me it's no fun fighting with them at the age of 8 almost every night over food. good luck
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:43 PM on May. 19, 2009

• YOU ARE NOT ALONE,I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 4 YEAR OLD.I WISH WE CAN GET ANSWERS TO THIS SOON.JUST TRY DIFFERENT FOODS LIKE I DO.SEE WHAT HAPPENS.
    APRIL-RAIN

Answer by APRIL-RAIN at 2:00 PM on May. 19, 2009

• All I have to say is it is a learned response. Don't give them a choice and they can't be picky.
    Angelbluewingsz

Answer by Angelbluewingsz at 2:23 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My daughter has done this to me. In the past I would break down and feel sorry for her little hungry self: offering choice after choice until she picked something. She quickly learned that if she said NO, I would keep going until she got what she wanted or something close to it (we never gave in to demands for cookies or sweets).
    I'd finally had enough and have stopped giving the choices. I make something I know she has eaten at every meal - it might just be a side dish but there is at least one thing at the meal that I know she has eaten. She can eat as much or as little of anything she wants. But if she doesn't eat, I don't say anything. She can wait until the next meal or scheduled snack time.
    Also - if she does eat, I don't say anything. I've found that if I say the dreaded "See, isn't that tasty?" phrase, she will stop eating and say NO! She's even pulled that with chocolate pudding!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:32 PM on May. 19, 2009

• i make one meal, either you eat it or you don't. if you don't you wait until the next meal/snack. she's only gone to bed hungry once and that was enough for her to learn.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 6:17 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I make at least one thing DD likes (but she is sooo not picky) and if she doesn't eat it then she can have like a piece of fruit or yogurt.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 7:41 PM on May. 19, 2009