God's Forgiveness

I know we are supposed to be able to ask for God's forgiveness on things we have done and He forgives us....but how come we sometimes feel like we are still being punished for the decisions we made wrong...how do we let it go when we know He has?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You have to just let it go. Regret is a long and wasted emotion, If God forgives you then you need to learn from your past decisions and move on. The punishment is in the dwelling, let it go...
    Mommy3b1g

Answer by Mommy3b1g at 1:33 PM on May. 19, 2009

• That's not God. God promises us in His word once we ask for forgiveness,and repent of our sins, He will remove them as far as the east is from the west. They are totally forgotten as far as God is concerned. The enemy, however, will continue to hammer away at you, trying to make you feel worthless of forgiveness,trying to make you think God hasn't forgiven you, and that He doesn't want to (I know this for a fact, from personal experience). He will go to great lengths to convince you God isn't interested in forgiving you,or saving you (once again, I know from first-hand exeperiences), remember, he is the father of lies,and every word out of his mouth is a lie,and he's going to do whatever is necessary to seperate you from God. That is his main goal. And, sadly he's good at what he does. But, don't believe him. If you ask for forgiveness with a sincere, repentant heart, God knows,and He does forgive you,and that's the end of it.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 2:02 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I guess thats where faith comes in,did you read the story about the king who forgave his servant but the servant wouldnt forgive?
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 2:55 PM on May. 19, 2009

• God set a natural order to things. Usually when you do something wrong, there is a repercussion. We can't escape the repercussions just because we are forgiven no more than being forgiven for talking back to your mom absolves you from being grounded for it. You've been forgiven but you still need to learn from what you did wrong.

Who is to say what is or isn't from God? All good things come from God but I believe that hard times that cause us to learn and grow and turn from our sinful ways are from God too. A parent that loves their child helps them along the right path, even when the path isn't pleasant.

You are forgiven; you are always forgiven. God says anyone who asks is forgiven and that nothing can seperate us from his love. Expect the repercussions because they are part of life and learn then to allow yourself to forgive yourself.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:57 PM on May. 19, 2009

• God forgives the eternal consequences of our sins but allows us to experience the temporal consequences while here on earth. Like with adultry. God will forgive the eternal consequences - one is not condemned to hell. But that doesn't mean everything goes back as it was before the adultry. Sin has hurt the entire family and maybe even the community at large - and we experience these consequences and need to deal with them. And it takes time and effort to repare the damage done not just to the relationship with the family, but also our relationship with God. Because all sin hurts our relationship with God.

So maybe it's not continued punishment - but more like discipline. Like a parent forgives a child for breaking a favorite vase but will still make them do extra chores to pay for a replacement. Working to repare the damage caused by our sins is one way in which we can come forgive ourselves
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:02 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I think the feeling may be there because you haven't forgiven yourself yet. I don't believe God punishes his children. I believe we punish ourselves enough - when we ask forgiveness, it is forgiven, then forgotten. Erased completely. But WE don't forget what we've done, and so that hurts us in the long run.

I think you should let go of it, let it fly away into the wind, and move on. You are forgiven, now forgive yourself.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:14 PM on May. 19, 2009

• God may forgive you, but that doesn't mean he will jump in to rescue you from the natural consequences of your behavior, your thoughts, your words, and the energy that you put out there. And I also agree with Jennijune (I'm not Christian so my take might be slightly different, though) in that if you are holding on to negative thoughts - disgust, guilt, shame, etc - about what you've asked forgiveness for, it could be simply that what you are dealing with now is your own lack of compassion for yourself. God may have forgiven you long ago, immediately, but you can't get past your own grief or regret enough to *feel* that. And so you continue to put that energy out there, or make choices from that place of negativity and disconnect... and it can be quite a vicious cycle.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:48 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I do not believe that God punishes us in ways we think things that happen in our lives are punishments. For example, someone chooses to drink and become an alcoholic and loses trust in people around them, then gets sober drinking occasionally, asks everyone for forgiveness but find that people are skeptical because you still drink occasionally, is a choice people make and consequences for our choices, this is not a punishment from God, but our own punishment. I do believe that God does forgive and God does move on, but sometimes we just have to understand that life on earth is not the same things as with God and Heaven.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 2:42 AM on May. 20, 2009

• The way I see it, we are all a part of God. Therefore - God cannot forgive you, until you forgive yourself.
    TortisShell

Answer by TortisShell at 11:04 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Thank you all for your answers....very much appreciated.
    Anonymous