• In the Spotlight:

How can you help a kid with ADHD

My kid who is 12 yrs old has ADHD and she goes to a catholic school. I'm not sure how to help her, I don't want her to move away from all her friends because she has been going to that school since she was in pre-k. Sarah has difficulties in mostly every subject expect for History and all her teachers think she does not care.
I'm just no sure what to do.

katejay1

Asked by katejay1 at 1:33 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• i was born with severe case of add and adhd...and i think the best thing you can do for her is to get her things where she can focus on more than one thing...like if shes doing her homework let her set one down to work on another or let her walk away from it and go do something else but make sure she gets back to it...what always worked for me was to listen to music while i was doing my homework cause i could focus on the lyrics and my homework...so my mind isn't going to a million directions at once i can focus on certain things. just simple things like that....you don't have to move...and you could talk to her teachers and explain that she has adhd and tell them what you are doing at home and maybe ask if they will let her do some of those things at school....
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 2:59 PM on May. 19, 2009

• otherwise she may end up flunking all her classes cause she gets bored and doesn't pay attention or things like that
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 3:00 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My opinion, have her evaluated, and try concerta or another med. If she can't control herself, she can't focus, she can't do well. Other then that, if you are against meds, try changing her diet, having a strict schedule. Get her into a child psychologist that can help you and her.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 4:53 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Have her evaluated and begin treatment. My son is on Vyvanse and it works great, very few side affects. Behavior therapy also helps, so do schedules and structure. She will need lots of reminders and patience.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:58 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I have a few ideas. There are therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD, and help them learn to use it to their advantage. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books at your local library; he has great information on his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/
    Many kids with behavior issues are dramatically affected by artificial food additives. We follow the simple guideline to not buy any foods with ingredients that we can't pronounce or that our great-grandmothers would not recognize. the Feingold Organization has great resources on this topic: www.feingold.org
    Some kids with attention issues are helped by fish oil supplements; if you go this route, use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; our daughter took them for several years; we have since switched her to hemp oil

Answer by rkoloms at 7:04 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Check out www.BlackBeltGoalsGame.com for the solution I came up with, and now market.
    It may, or may not help ( since I invented it I feel my answer would be biased in the affirmative and, therefore, leave you to judge.
    Anonymous