how do i get my baby to enjoy playing/entertaining by himself?

i'm a stay at home mom...for now. i'll be going back to school in the fall. i'm worried that i'm not going to be able to get my school work/studying done because my son (who is four months today!!) cries whenever i let him play/entertain himself. it's really frustrating. i can't get anything done around the house. please help me!! any suggestions?!

smb87

Asked by smb87 at 1:33 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sucks, but you have to ignore the crying. Do you let him have alot of tummy time? This is good for developing their neck muscles and to encourage them to crawl. But it's also good for him to learn how to play by himself. Try playing with him on the floor for a while and walking away once he's gotten interested in a toy. Let him cry for a few minutes before intervening. Keep doing that and eventually he'll get used to you not ALWAYS being right there.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 1:37 PM on May. 19, 2009

• mommydudum great advice!
    Anonymous

• At 4 months they don't "DO" much on their own. My son was usually happy for short periods of time playing with his toy mat (with toys over his head) or sitting in his swing.
    But by the time it's fall your baby will be a older and you will have a bunch of new things to deal with... by 8 months your baby will most likely be crawling and cruising and getting into all kinds of trouble... but will also be able to play on his own for short periods of time while supervised. My son is 10 months now and will play on his own for about 20-30 mins alone with a toy.
    For now just work on playing with your son on the floor and not holding him as much... just getting down at his level. Soon he will learn to play with you next to him and then you can start moving farther away so you can get some stuff done.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:56 PM on May. 19, 2009

• How is a 4 month old supposed to entertain himself? He can't do anything. Wear him in a sling to do what you need. To get reading done, put him in a jumper next to you and read aloud while making frequent eye contact so he knows you're paying attention to him. Letting him cry will only be harder on him and won't make anything easier for you.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:05 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Our twins (were 4 months on the 6th) are already enjoying their exersaucers! They will try and get the toys that are on there and it is so cute to see them "talking" to the animals. See if you can find some sort of plastic mirror... babies love mirrors! They also have their bouncy seats and bumbo chairs and swings... We have alot of stuff for them. But, when they get bored with whatever, they definitely let us know and we make sure we love all over them. My daughter has reflux so it is uncomfortable sometimes for her to lay flat. We do put their comforter on the floor (since it doesn't go in the crib) and let them lay on that and talk to the ceiling fan as well. They aren't interested in toys really other than a frog that my daughter chews on and they each have their little satiny comfort blankets with a stuffed animal attached. Don't know if any of that helps, but hopefully it will!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 2:12 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I try and just do everything when he's sleeping, yea it's hard and you really have to budget your time, but then you can focus on your baby and errands when they're up
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 5:17 PM on May. 19, 2009