Wandering how things work on assistance programs.

I have never been on them so i don't really know.
1.) Who funds medicaid? Do the taxpayers? I have never noticed anything like that coming out of my check. Only medicare.
2) people on medicaid do theyhave to pay it back? Like if they get medical coverage? Do they eventually have to pay back for medical bills?
3) is there atime limit they can stay on it? if they don' t work, do they have to try and find a job or something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Very interesting questions.
    Anonymous

• 1.) Taxpayers
    2.) No.
    3.) No. No. But every year they have to renew it, have their income checked again to make sure they aren't making too much money too be on it.
    Anonymous

• Anon 1:46 answered your questions.

Medicare/medicaid/etc. coming out of your paycheck all fund the same thing: HEALTHCARE.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 1:52 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Medicare is pretty much the same thing and yes, the taxpayers do foot the bill. Which I have NO problem with since only 21 and younger and pregnant women can qualify. I have medicaid for my boys (I pay my taxes bishes.. dont be knocking on me now! LOL)
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 2:23 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Medicare and Medicaid are overseen by the same federal agency. Medicare is for older Americans. Medicaid has no age-based eligibility but a set of income based and other factors taken into consideration. It's also a joint program between the Feds and each State. It *IS* paid for out of taxes - both state and federal. You may see it listed on the same line as your medicare taxes or other FICA taxes (aka Social Security.) You also likely pay it through various State taxes - it may be through so-called sin taxes (on tobacco, alcohol, etc) or general sales tax. It might be through payroll taxes.

No, people do not have to pay it back. As for your other questions - there is no one answer. Qualifications and restrictions are dictated by each State. You'd need to look up your State's program specifics.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:25 PM on May. 19, 2009

• the Leavenworth Farmer's Market is now accepting the Kansas Vision card.

Leavenworth Farmer's Market

A friend of the coordinator,
    Tatj
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 4:16 PM on May. 19, 2009

• There is a big difference between Medicare and Medicaid. Medicare funds are taken out of your check and are meant to fund your own receipt of it when you are old enough. Medicaid is funded through income taxes and can be given to anyone that qualifies.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:47 PM on May. 19, 2009