I have a 1 year old who bangs her head when going to sleep. How do I stop this behavior?

joanntal

Asked by joanntal at 1:44 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a 14 month old who bangs his head all the time. Especially when he's mad. Its just a phase they have to grow out of.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 1:45 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Have u tried rocking her to sleep and then laying her down,or patting her gently on her back while she is laying in her crib on her tummy. If it contiunes ask the doctor if it is normal behavior.
    Anonymous

• my daughter started banging her head when she was about 1 years old and shes 4 now and still bangs her head when she goes to bed i yell at her all the time for it but she says it help her fall asleep i wish she would stop
    miss_aquarius22

Answer by miss_aquarius22 at 1:51 PM on May. 19, 2009

• OP-It's a calming/coping behavior. If you want her to give up one activity, you have to give her another one. She can't just stop it. Does she have a blankie or favorite toy that you could give her at night time? Some kids will rub the silky tag on the toys. You may have to hold her and rock her with the item a few times to get her to translate it to bed-time.

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:28 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My fiance used to bang his head in his sleep when we first got together. I talked to my mother-in-law and she informed me that he had started doing that when he was 13 months old. I also have been told that it is a calming coping behavior and that some children will grow out of it. I was also told that if a child has been stressed due to moving, switching school, and etc that it causes it also.
    Apple-Bottom

Answer by Apple-Bottom at 1:32 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I read an article that said it is not the actual banging that is soothing to the child but the continuous beat. I put a clock in her bedroom last night that has a ticking sound and she did not bang once. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
    joanntal

Answer by joanntal at 6:23 AM on May. 20, 2009