Cheap meals for a picky hubby?

My husband doesn't eat rice, beans, cooked veggies, mushrooms, onions, and some other things I can't think of off the top of my head. I didn't make him this way, I promise you. But since he provides the money for our meals, I try to entertain his tastes.

We're trying to save money for a few flights in the next year, so what are suggestions for cheaper meals? It's difficult when you have a meat and potatoes kind of guy. I try to stay away from meals with veggies in them and then do veggie side dishes for DD and myself, and fresh veggies for hubby so that we're still healthy.

Also what are some inexpensive snacks? I find that we spend a lot on random snacky foods.

Thanks!

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 2:17 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Well, if he likes it spicy, get a good size chuck rost, at my stator brothers they are $4.90 for a good size. Ok, rinse your roast, rub down the roast with evoo(extra virgin olive...) add cayenne pepper, salt beef seasoning(If you have it, if not its just $2bucks) bake with about 2 cups water for about 45min, then check it and add more water if needed, but whats also great is deep red wine, this adds a taste like no other to beef, good luck hope I helped. Oh yeah also you can add potatoes, this is a great dish
    firewoman1977

Answer by firewoman1977 at 3:16 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I married a meat/potatoes/canned string beans kind of guy When we were dating, we lived about 800 miles apart. On one of his first trips to visit me, I took him to a different ethnic restaurant every night. He fell in love with Indian food, & decided to marry me when I learned to cook curries.
    The point of this is: expand his horizons and don't let him send your kids the message that it is ok ot be a picky eater.The rule in our house is if you don't like what's for dinner, then you make yourself PB&J. Pick one night a week to introduce a new dish or ingredient.
    One of our standards is whole grain spagetti and steamed broccoli with peanut sauce; broccoli hating kids will eat it with peanut sauce, maybe he will, too.
    Will he eat lentils? I make lentil soppy joes and lentil tacos.
    What about curry? If you made curried chickpeas with whole grain tortillas would he eat that.
    Eggplant parmesan?
    Good luck!!

Answer by rkoloms at 3:27 PM on May. 19, 2009