How would you respond to someone you know if they told you this. I am not really sure what to say

She is pregnant (about 5 or 6 months) and i asked her the other day who her doctor was this time and if she knew what she was having. She said no that she wasn't getting prenatal care this time because they couldn't afford all the cost out of pocket because of so many bills. That they didn't have enough left at the end of the month to pay for the doctors and hospitals. She said bothe medicaid and state programs turned them down. Anyways i was just like oh' i'm sorry i wish there was something i could do. But i didn't really know how to react past that so i just changed the subject. How would you have responded? I feel so bad for her. She and her husband both work full time and support there family just fime they just don't have any extra. And keep rude comments like "well she shouldn't have gotten pregnant" . Whats done is done, there is a baby coming, and despite things she is a good mom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• BS pregnant women are automatically eligable period.
    Anonymous

• UM, no there not. Atleast not in my state. You have to be under income guidelines or you can and will be denied.
    Anonymous

Ummm....not in my state.
    OP: I probly would have said the same thing. ANd you're right, what's done is done. I wish them the best of luck and hope that baby is healthy and happy.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 2:21 PM on May. 19, 2009

• in my state (Wisconsin) they cant deny you prenatel care-the state has inurance programs that are ment ONLY for pregnancy, you provide proof of pregnancy than after 11 months that insurance is terminated-
    Other than that I would tell her to go to planned parenthood-they will send her in the direction she needs to go to get financial assistence and prlly provide care for her
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 2:22 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I would have asked her if she'd tried to get prenatal care from a low income clinic. Most work off of sliding scale fees and often women pay nothing.

For most low risk women not recieving prenatal care won't affect their baby as long as they are eating healthy, exercising, and taking their prenatal vitamins but for high risk women and women who don't realize that they are high risk it could be risky to go without prenatal care so I would encourage her to find a clinic that won't charge her much and then she can just pay the hospital bill off after the baby is born unless she's planning an unassisted birth at home which is fine as long as she has prepared and done some of the prenatal safety type testing on her own.

Many women these days are doing their own prental care when they are planning home births and that's fine but I would encourage her to do something if that's not the case.
    Anonymous

• Your not automatically eligable for medicaid in Texas.

You have to apply and then meet the income requirements. I know several people who have been turned down for making to much even though they didn't have any other form of health care and they had to pay for it out of pocket.
    Anonymous

• Just so the anon poster knows, my bf and I's income was only $300 a month shy of the medicaid guidelines or we would have been denied for prenatal care. I get child support, $400 a month. My bf's checks are between $300 and $500 a week. That's what we live off and pay all our bills off, it's hard to think what that extra $300 would really do for us if we had been denied... As for the actual question, there's not much you CAN do or say unless you want to help pay for the birth of her baby... It sucks for her and the baby that she can't afford it, but if she can't... she can't.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 2:26 PM on May. 19, 2009

• In California, there's a state-run program call AIM (Access for Infants and Mothers) that provides prenatal care for families that don't qualify for Medicare but can't afford private insurance. Perhaps your state has a similar program? I would check with your state's SCHIP (State Children's Health Insurance Program) office/website to see what's available. Even a local free clinic offers prenatal care. I would do some research--I'm sure that there's something out there.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 2:29 PM on May. 19, 2009

• We have clinics set up in my state that are free to pregnant women. She can check with local churches to see if they offer any assistance. Also, hospitals will set up payment plans for anyone. As long as she can make a monthly payment they will be more than happy to help. My husband had emergancey surgery and it costed us 2,000 dollars. We had a payment plan set up for 100 dollars a month and then we couldn't afford that any longer. So they dropped us down to 50 dollars. At one point I think we sent in 10 dollars for aa few months because that's all we had left. They never turnned us into a collection agencey because we were paying. Bottom line is it is very important she gets the care she needs for her and the unborn child. Something could happen to either one of them and being the good mother you say she is. It would be very unfortunant for her other children if she died due to complications.
    Anonymous

• as long as she takes prenatels which she can get cheap over the counter..and eats healthy....she should be ok...if shes had children before she should know what would be an emergency soo id say shes ok...I mean if theres nothing you can do theres nothing you can do...
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 2:38 PM on May. 19, 2009