Why is everything a big deal?

First it started when you were pregnant people would always say how much your life would change and things will never be the same etc We had our first son and yes it was a change but my world wasn't turned upside down I learned to adapt and continue on with my day to day.
Then came bonding with your child once he/she was born. I never got the whole bonding thing. Yes I love my sons to pieces and think everything they did as a newborns was so cute and wonderful but no there were no fireworks or this major epihany. Sometimes things just are what they are and that is good enough!
Oh and how could I forget.. The TRANSITION! If I heard this word anymore throughout my 2nd pregnancy I was going to snap! Everyone kept saying how the first born acts out and "how will he transition?" Well we did just fine thank you! Just like anything in life it's only a big deal if you let it be. Anyone else agree?

BSFreeMama

Asked by BSFreeMama at 2:25 PM on May. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• People are affected by different things differently. For me bonding with my children was amazing. As far as live change, yes there was a change of focus. It was no longer about my husband and me, it was about the child. For 22 years until they got out of college. And even then there are parts of me out there hours away with homes and families of their own. I still hurt when they hurt and rejoice when they are happy. Drama? Maybe if a person is wired like that, I tend to be under-dramatic rather than over.

Answer by Bmat at 2:32 PM on May. 19, 2009

• yup, totally~!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:33 PM on May. 19, 2009

• ^^ life change (sorry)

Answer by Bmat at 2:33 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I should point out that I am not being ignorant to how other people feel or live their lives!
    I love my family tremendously and am grateful everyday for my healthy children and wonderful husband but I tend to think a little differently than some people regarding certain things in life so I was just curious if anyone felt the same as I have?

(Ughh Cafe Mom wouldn't let me edit this into my original question)
    BSFreeMama

Answer by BSFreeMama at 2:40 PM on May. 19, 2009

• i feel the same!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 2:45 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Oh I definitely see what you mean....it is like the world doesn't expect you to take anything in stride! Of course our life changes when we have kids, but since I expected it to change and I was never incredibly self-centered or impulsive to begin with, it wasn't a big change for me. I mean, there were the practical things like not leaving the house without the baby...but that was obvious! Bonding was a natural occurance and I guess I just don't make a big deal about my every thought. Of course I was attached to my baby...my children....my adult child, even. Each stage was special and everything they did was a big deal to me, but I guess I knew better than to think it was a big deal to everyone else! Most people just enjoy making a big deal of whatever phase they are personally going through....and maybe that is a good thing if that is what they need to do. It does get them attention. (it starts with weddings, though...)
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 3:32 PM on May. 19, 2009