My three year old will not listen to me, how can i get him to start listening

When I tell him to pick up his toys or to take a nap he doesnt listen and i am still trying to recover from a c-section and take care of a two week old and a 1 year old. Sometimes he calls me stupid. But when dad comes home he is like a totally different kid.

Dusti3

Asked by Dusti3 at 2:29 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Wow, Anonymous 2:31 really hates you! Anon: how do YOU know what her situation is? She could've adopted one of those kids or any number of things.

Anyway - he's probably not listening to you because he feels like he doesn't get enough attention anymore (so why should he give you any?) I bet he prefers his dad because dad isn't recovering froma c-section and doesn't have to 'deal' with the other two babies like you do. Just try to give your son as much attention as you can and be calm. If he doesn't listen, have him go to time out. If you feel like it's too much to handle, ignore him when he doesn't listen. It's better than lashing out and yelling at him for being bad. Have his dad do fun stuff with him as often as possible. That will get the kiddo out of your hair and keep him entertained.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 2:36 PM on May. 19, 2009

• No she didn't adopted any kids, she started pushing them out when she was 17.
    Anonymous

• You're right, Anon, I checked out her profile and she didn't adopt any kids. SO WHAT?!?! Who are you to pass judgement on and insult someone you know nothing about? By the way, your sentence should have been constructed as follows: "No, she didnt adopt any kids. She started pushing them out when she was 17." If you're too incompetent to put a sentence together, you shouldn't go around insulting people willy-nilly.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 2:47 PM on May. 19, 2009

• He's acting up because you let him. Discipline. If you're still recovering from a c-section then where is your help? If you can't properly take care of (and discipline is part of caring for them) then you need to have some help.

Stop letting him get away with acting like that or you're going to have nothing but trouble later.
    Anonymous

• I love people calling others stupid. Especially when they can't string together a sentence correctly.

We went through this when my daughter was 18 months. I had a newborn. Please, let the bashing begin! Anyway, it was so short lived it doesn't even matter now. She needed to know she wasn't being replaced. We had story time while the baby nursed, and I made sure when the baby napped to have one on one time. Now my two year old plays with the eight month old. They need adjustment time. Plus, with a c-section, I bet you're not as active with him as you were a few weeks ago.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 3:52 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I have to get down to my ds's eye level and talk to them. If he won't look you in the eye, help him understand that you need him to look at you when you are talking. Mine seems to listen better. Wait until he tells you that he hates you. I was very upset the first time my oldest said that. Their vocabulary is very limited at this age, and they don't know how to tell you what they are trying to tell you.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:43 AM on May. 20, 2009

• My son will turn 3 in july and when he doesn't listen to me, i will have him sit down for 2 minutes on timeout. For instance, your asking your son to pick up his toys and he walks away from you, turn him around get down to his eye level and tell him he will go on time out if he doesn't listen and he'll most likely "throw a fit" so sit him on time out until he does what's been asked of him. don't bother yelling or spanking him cuz you won't get anywhere
    felicia7806

Answer by felicia7806 at 12:35 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I have a very good friend with 3-kids under three. (two are twins) Her tactics are great - everything that is "not fun" is turned into a game. When it's pick up time, if there are blocks on the floor, she'll say something like "I bet I can pick up all of the red ones before you can pick up the blue ones" or "I bet daddy will be very proud that you picked up all of the blocks by yourself"
    Napping is another story....some kids love naps, others...well, you know. So, if possible, try to establish a routine before nap - read a book on the couch with the two older ones and then "see who can fall asleep first". I know your 1-year old won't get the game, but the 3-year old will. (I know..easier said than done..) Remember.....this too shall pass..... Best of luck!
    CJandTylersmom

Answer by CJandTylersmom at 12:46 PM on May. 20, 2009