MATERNITY LEAVE~

im 37 week s preg and i am so uncomfortable at wrk i sit for 8 hours five days a week and its rlly doing a number on my back =(...the bosses at wrk say i can take a PAID leave whenever i want..ive tried and tried to get the doctor to sign me off but she says my work needs to give me a signed family medical paper..i told wrk that and they never heard of it..IS THIS TRUE? (keep in mind i wrk 104 hrs a month for only 259 dollars a month, im on cash assistance program, rip off lol)

gnabamommy

Asked by gnabamommy at 2:36 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have not heard of that before. I know when I was working all I had to do was get a note from my doctor saying that I was on bed rest or I could only so a many hours a day. I was able to take up to 12 weeks off at that time.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 2:38 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Your work shoudl have a policy onf FMLA, Family Medical Leave..depending on what state you live in, your leave might be paid. This is a federal law, it is good for pregnancy, adoption or a serious health condition. If your employer employs less than 50 employees in within a 75 miles radius, they are not mandated to offer FMLA, but if they have more employees than that they need to offer it to you and that is probably what your doctor is talking about. If less than 50 employees I would tell your doctor that the federal law does not require them to offer but that they do offer paid leave, perhaps your doctor can write a letter stating that you need to be off on maternity leave. good luck and congrats!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 2:45 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I work part-time at a retail store. All I had to do was tell them the doctor said I had to stay home and then they took me off the schedule. I get 12weeks of maternity leave and then have to have a doctor's note telling them I'm fit to come back.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 2:54 PM on May. 19, 2009