Why would you not want to go to college?

It is available for everyone through student loans andgrants. I am married and dont need to work, but I went to college and graduate school for when my children are school age. Why would you not take advantage of the opportunity to go...50 years ago, predominently men and wealthy people went...now everyone can, so I dont understand why people choose not to go?? Enlighten me...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have the opportunity to go back to school online but haven't because I don't know what want to do. It seems like a waste of money to pay for school when I don't know what I want to do.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 3:06 PM on May. 19, 2009

• She's right yall. Not only student loans that you HAVE to pay back, but you can also get financial aid. The money is there. Hell I just graduated with my associates and nobody ain't telling Jamila she isn't going back for her Bachelors this Fall.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 3:07 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Because I have a job that pays well and I enjoy. I don't want to be in debt for the rest of my life from student loans. There is absolutely no guarantee that a college education will get you the career you're working towards. I don't slam other people for getting a college education - it's just not for me. I hated school for various reasons - kids picked on my all of the time and I am incapable of doing anything beyond basic math.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 3:07 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Because not everyone is so lucky to get loans and grants or scholarships. Take me for example, all I could get were loans, even though I lived on my own and took care of myself they went by my parents income. So, $40,000 later, I have a bachelor's degree and no job. The college I went to will not let you teach without a Master's, and I don't have $20,000 to go for another 2 years. So, here I am, jobless, $400 loan payment per month. That is why I would not recommend going to college. You can come out better working in a factory. All college is, is buying yourself a job.
    Anonymous

• I am graduating in a few weeks-and I can say that I am WAYYYYYYYY smarter than I was when I started.

BUT-now there are no jobs for me......so, a little piece, a speck, of me questions if I just wasted my time. :(

I know that in the long run-it will pay off, I will eventually find something, hopefully. I guess I never thought that they would stop hiring new grad RNs.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 3:09 PM on May. 19, 2009

I forgot to add that you can't get any financial aid to go back once you've graduated already.
    Anonymous

• Anon-you can't take out the loan to get your masters? Usually student loans are deferred when higher education levels are sought.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 3:11 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Nope because that would leave me $60,000 in debt instead of the $40,000 I already owe. Teachers don't make that good of money.
    Anonymous

• True-thats a shame. Between me and my dh-we will be looking at around 85,000 together. And neither of us have jobs in our degrees. So, I feel ya.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 3:14 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Hold up! You can't get financial aid again after you get an degree?
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 3:15 PM on May. 19, 2009