Washing your kids mouth with soap??

I noticed in another question some moms freaking out saying that another mom would get her kids taken away because she washes their mouths out with soap. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on May. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I consider it abuse!
    Anonymous

• My personal opinion is there are far more constructive ways of disciplining your children. That soap is not something that should be entered into the body and that it is a geriatric method and custom.
    Amber-Skye

Answer by Amber-Skye at 3:10 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Works for lying and cussing. I know someone who uses it and if they are 6 then they hold the bar of soap in there for 6 seconds for a cuss word. Then their dad had to do it for 30 seconds and the boys thought it was hilarious!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:11 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Well, seeing as how I myself have a bad mouth and my two year old's favorite word is Phouck, I'm a little lax on punishing my kids for using bad words.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 3:12 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My parents did this to us as kids. I wouldn't use it as a form of punishment on my children, though. I try not to smack my daughter when she's acting out (my parents hit/spanked us.) So, if feel guilty about 'using the rod' on my kids - I'd feel like total crap if I made them wash their mouths out with soap. It can cause diarhea and makes your throat burn.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 3:12 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Answered at 2:11 PM on May. 19, 2009 by:

* ria7

ria7
    Works for lying and cussing. I know someone who uses it and if they are 6 then they hold the bar of soap in there for 6 seconds for a cuss word. Then their dad had to do it for 30 seconds and the boys thought it was hilarious!

This is the best answer yet. It isn't really about 'washing' the mouth so much as it is just to give the child a bad taste. I don't think it is so bad, I'm not saying I would use it as a method for my kid though.
    Anonymous

• This is not a method of punishment my parents used...so I will not be using it either. As far as it being child abuse...well, I guess it depends on the type of soap you use.
    jenerica

Answer by jenerica at 3:15 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Nasty. I may consider doing it once, but if that didn't work, I'd find other methods.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:16 PM on May. 19, 2009

• i think if you use an organic one is not considered abuse... just plain recycled punishment....Hey we have to educate them no matter what.. so to each its own....
    EmmaY

Answer by EmmaY at 3:18 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I see nothing wrong with it... it was used on me as a kid.. but like a previous person said..not necesarily washing, just the bad tasted..ive done it once to my oldest, although i dont remember what he said or did.. but i do remember he didnt like it one bit. i dont consider it abuse at all.. why would it be? your not hurting anything but thier pride maybe.. but of course what am i too say? I also believe in spanking. i think there is a difference between spanking and beating tho too.. so.. im sure i'll get crap about saying i believe in spanking but whatever...
    Anonymous