What is the best way to teach division?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• maybe get some m&ms. Start with an even number, like 8. And say now if I divide these in half, that means 8 divided by 2 and write it down. Then, ask if I divide 8 in half, or by 2 how many do I have in the one side. Hopefully that would work.
    Anonymous

• Have a teacher do it? LOL!!! I am horrible at math and left that to my sons teachers, I can do division but have no idea how to teach it to someone else. Try www.math.com and see if the site has tutroials or ways to teach division. That was the site my sons math teacher recommends.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:47 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I related it to addition and subtraction. I told her that in addition 2+2=4 and that 4-2=2. So in multiplication 2x3=6. Two groups of three make six. So how when we did division 6/3...how many groups of 3 go into 6. I'm not sure if that makes sense or not? lol
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 1:16 PM on May. 20, 2009

• marry a smart husband.i cant do my daughters 4th grade math.it was my worst subject.she is now doing fractions???the only reason i can do fractions is because i work in a retail store and if its like 1/3 off i usually know it just by looking.but besides that i will read and read and read but math????
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 1:47 PM on May. 20, 2009

• The best way that I've found is to make fact families. Example 2 x 3 = 6, 3 x 2 = 6, 6 / 2 = 3, 6 / 3 = 2. The 2, 3 and 6 make a fact family in multiplication and division. Once your child knows multiplication, it's easy to reverse it and find the quotient. If you're dividing by 2 digit factors, then you need to round the divisor up or down and divide by the digit in the 10's place.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:49 AM on May. 21, 2009