Do you believe in the saying "spare the rod, spoil the child"?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 3:44 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes, I think women need that also.
    Anonymous

• Yes I do
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:47 PM on May. 19, 2009

• To a certain extent. I do not believe in abuse, but I do not find that a spanking or a swat on the behind is such a terrible thing for a child to go through in order to learn that there is a consequence for their poor behavior. I believe that spankings and swats should be used only in the rarest circumstances only when absolutely necessary, not automatically every time the child misbehaves.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 3:50 PM on May. 19, 2009

• yep
    Anonymous

• To a certain extent, yes. I don't think kids need to be hit for them to learn a lesson, but if the parents absolutely refuse to correct the child's bad behavior, then I believe that child will grow up thinking that rules don't apply to him/her. Once that happens, it's very hard to bring them out of that way of thinking and/or acting.
    Miss-Baby-Baker

Answer by Miss-Baby-Baker at 3:51 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I believe that verse to mean that you need to discipline your children or they will become spoiled. I do not think it means to beat them to get them to listen. So yes, I agree with it!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:01 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Not really....because I can't help but associate it with beating a child into submission. However, I do agree with the idea that kids need discipline and limits and that parents are responsible to provide them.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:14 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I do, but I don't necessarily believe "rod" has to be taken literally. To me, the rod can be any form of discipline that is effective for the child. I have a daughter who could absolutely not possibly care any less if I spanked her behind. She'll cry for a minute, then return to whatever bad behavior prompted the punishment in the first place. I had to find what "hurt" her--taking away privileges seems to be far more effective than any physical punishment. Every parent needs to find the "rod" that works on that particular child. I do believe discipline for wrong behaviors is necessary to prevent children from growing up with a sense of spoiled entitlement.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:35 PM on May. 19, 2009

• yes i do because it wouldnt have been written in the bible for us. so it is a guidline for us to follow.
    Anonymous

• Actually yes. Because the rod is used to GUIDE the sheep not to beat them. All children need guidance. But you should for no reason ever raise your hand or use any kind of weapon ie: belt, spoon, switch, on your child. Abuse is abuse no matter how you try to justify it. Violence teaches violence. And I am strong enough and smart enough to teach my children with respect and love. I don't have to harm them to get them to do what I want.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 7:05 AM on May. 20, 2009