Do you swear around your kids?

If you do, do you chastise them if your little one says a bad word. How do you explain to them its wrong when you are doing it?

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 3:55 PM on May. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Both me and my husband swear in front of the kids. The kids aren't allowed. We find it easy to explain. I use the same explanation my parents used for me. Those words aren't for little kids and they can use them when they are older and can understand when it is and isn't appropriate to use them. If they slip and say a bad word I just remind them to watch their language and that they aren't old enough to swear yet. If they way it on purpose and repeatedly they go in the corner (hasn't happened in years, since my son was like 4 and thought it was funny).
    I just had to remind my 3yo this morning that she can't say "hell", she should say "heck." Her response was, "oh, darn it," because she messed up. I was cracking up.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:28 PM on May. 19, 2009

• yeeeeeah SO and I have a bad habit of saying swears in front of our son. he's too young to talk, but he takes in everything. so we are working hard to be careful these days
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:57 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I do, buy my kids are teenagers. Now, that isn't to say that every other word out of my mouth is a curse word though.

When they were little, I didn't do it very much though. The way I explained it when they said it was that "Those are grownup words, they aren't for little kids to use. When you're a grownup, if you choose to say them then, you can, but until then, you can't say them." If they said the word again, I would tell them "I told you that was a word that's only for grownups to use. If you say it again, you're going to have to go to time out."

But, like I said, I "edited" my words more when they were little, using other, usually nonsense words, instead.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:00 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I swear around my kids, and when they ask why I can say it and they cant I respond that "mommy is an adult and those are adult words" end of story-my kids had the slip up when they were younger and I am sure talk like a salior behind my back and do I feel guilty, Hell yeah I do- but whats done is done and I cant fix it now-I just wish i had thought about it when they were younger!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 4:00 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I try not to, but it happens. If they say it, I don't punish them for it... I just explain to them that it's not a nice thing to say and that I shouldn't have said it to begin with. We don't make a big deal out of it so that they don't think it's a good way to get attention.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 4:01 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Oh sorry. I do curse alot and need to get slap in the mouth. My 8 year doesn't curse. But my 3 year old does and gets his lower lip pinched. When I curse he tells me not to curse also. Yea Yea I know. My daughter asked me why its ok for Lil j to curse and not her. So I took her in my room one day and told her to say all the curse words she wants and she did. I asked her if she felt better and she said yes and told her to not use those words again and she hasn't. At least around me she doesn't. But she's a good girl. Its that brother of hers that is a ticking time bomb...lol
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 4:03 PM on May. 19, 2009

• No I don't. It's the way I was raised. My husband's mother used cuss words about every other word, and he was accustomed to it. Before we had children I told him I didn't want that kind of language around my children and he is pretty good about it, but if he has trouble with the lawn mower while he is outside mowing, Run, my children! Run and cover your little ears!

Answer by Bmat at 4:11 PM on May. 19, 2009

• growing up I was allowed to swear in our home by the time i was a preteen. i would get scolded if i called someone a bad name or swore when it wasnt really necessary,but other than that we were allowed to if it was relevant to what was going on or what we were describing. we couldnt swear around relatives of course or in school or outside the home. looking back i liked that we were allowed to express how we felt and i never swore around my peers really because i had learned somehow that it is for the home and not for in public.other teens and young adults thought it was rebelious and cool to swear cause they couldnt do it at home so they do it way too often and it always seemed really tacky to me whenever someone swears so casually.you do have to be taught how and when to use those words at some point. not when you're a young child,but an older child maybe
    Anonymous

• I have a tendency to use them but try very hard not to around my son. I heard that if you say a bad word and then a good word after like sh*t man or something then the kids won't remember the curse word. My son hasn't said a curse word, it might be because we won't say it loud enough,he doesn't pay attention or we say another word after the curse word so he doesn't remember it?
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 4:13 PM on May. 19, 2009

• i try my best not too, i have my slip ups, but my husband on the other hand he doesnt care who hes infront of he did it all the time, until my daughter repeated the f word after he did. shes only gonna be two and hasnt said it but that one time, i told her thats a bad word we cant use those kind of words. but i ocassionally slip up like if im making dinner and cut my finger or something ill be like aww shit but usually daddy has her entertained while im doing that so....and hes getting alot better since that one incedent
    Anonymous