how do i get my child to stop having "accidents"?

my son is 5 and has "accidents" just about daily. it is like he doesn't wipe his bottom after using the bathroom. and then there are sometimes when he just doesn't go to the bathroom. he would rather just go in his pants. my family says that that it is just a boy thing. but i don't know if i should take him to the doctor or if there is something i can do at home.

ncarolina3

Asked by ncarolina3 at 4:06 PM on May. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd have him examined first.
    If you are talking about small marks, like he just forgot to wipe, that's one thing. But he may be have encopresis - also known as fecal soiling. This can be marks in the undies that are larger than normal "skid marks" or it can be full poops in the pants. It has many causes but constipation is the mosts common.
    Talk to his doctor. Find out if there is a physical problem before you do anything else.

http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/WELCOME/conditions/encopresis.html
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:36 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I don't think that's a boy thing. Perhaps he gets too wrapped up in playing to break. Remind him every two hours to use the bathroom. I know at 5 you feel you shouldn't have to do that, but whatever works. And make sure you discuss how to properly wipe again. Supervise him until he is better. That is all of course provided there is no medical cause. My stepson on more than one occasion wet his pants while playing at his moms house because he didn't want to pause the video game and she wouldn't notice if he changed clothes.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 8:58 AM on May. 20, 2009

• my 6 year old still has wet accidents, i brought him to the doctor and he was fine, doc told me he was just lazy and to make him go every 2 hrs or so.... and it has lessened alot... he still has to wear pullups to sleep though..
    pinkdolphin1

Answer by pinkdolphin1 at 2:33 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I would treat him like a toddler and set a time and make him go every time it goes off. If he does it while doing sometime specific like watching tV then tell him no TV till the acciedents stop.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:44 PM on May. 20, 2009

• He's still pretty young and easily distracted. You need to remind him to use the bathroom. Little boys get pretty wrapped up in their play and don't always stop to take care of bathroom issues. I would also suggest not scolding him or humiliating him over this. Be supportive and loving. Scolding and humiliation will only make matters worse.
    Anonymous