Every time I get a gift for her it is not good enough!!!! What should I do next time?

I have a step daughter that just graduated from college. She is kinda outspoken. To me it comes across and snobby and rude. I try very hard to get thoughtful gifts. For Christmas she sent an email that stated to be sure to save the receipts in case it is a crappy present. (Rude) So I asked what she wanted. She told me an electronic dictionary. So I went out and got her $150 electronic dictionary. It was rated very high. She opened it and then decided she wanted the one for $250 because it had more features. She was just so rude about it. Then we told her we were going to give her $500 for graduation and she got all upset because she wanted us to pay for an apple laptop. She is going to California to see friends. The luggage her mother bought her last year fell apart. So I decided to make sure she had quality luggage. I went out and got her a nice Liz Claiborne piece. Now she wants Vera Bradley!!! What should she get next time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• A swift kick in the butt. She needs to grow up.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 4:09 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Umm...nothing. Why continue to buy gifts for someone who is ungrateful. It's a GIFT.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 4:09 PM on May. 19, 2009

• NOTHING. she is a spoiled brat who doesnt deserve anything nice from you anymore. if i were you i would cut her off from my supply of money. step daughter or not it doesnt give her the right to treat you like that when all you are doing is trying to give her nice things that she wants
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 4:10 PM on May. 19, 2009

• If she's so "out spoken" maybe she would appreciate having you be out spoken to her also. Tell her that she makes you feel like nothing you get her will be good enough so she'll have to change or be happy with nothing.
    Anonymous

• I would be done getting presents for her! She needs to learn that it's not the gift it's the thought that counts. Some people are so ungrateful, but don't worry karma WILL find her....
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't give her crap, and tell her that you gifts never seem to be good enough so you decided to stop buying! Be out spoken like she is, she needs some manners.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 4:17 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I would stop going out of my way to get her anything nice. Give her a $20 Walmart gift card for everything and tell her she is just too hard to please and you gave up trying with the biggest smile you can muster up.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:19 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I would stop burdening her with gifts. :) My sister in law is the same way-- she returns or exchanges everything anyone gives her, including stuff she asks for. So I politely told her one Christmas that we wouldnt' be troubling her with any more unwanted gifts, since exchanging/returning something is such a hassle. Instead, we told her we would be making a donation in her name to the Children's Hospital. We've done it ever since.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 4:21 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Not a damn thing!
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 4:25 PM on May. 19, 2009

• She is so rude! I hope that she gets you excellent presents. When you receive her presents be sure to thank her politely.
    I don't see that you can stop giving her presents, so I am think gift certificates. If she asks why you are doing this, tell her that judging by her reaction to your gifts in the past that you feel that she'd prefer to pick out her own.

Answer by Bmat at 4:26 PM on May. 19, 2009